The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My doctor has never mentioned to me about taking baby aspirin. I know doc's get busy and go over our med's. If he has just not noticed or is it that it's not necessary at 51yrs old? how many of you were advised to take it and how many do it on their own? May not be a serious question but just a curious one for me.
hugs to all:grouphug2:
florie:rose:

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Florie,

It really is something you should discuss with your doctor. I take the low dose asprin but I have Raynauds and have had elevated IGM cardiolipins in the past so it has a purpose. On my medication list the low dose asprin is right in with my other meds. My list is sorted by doctor so that each one can easily see what they have prescribed me along with seeing the whole shebang.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was advised to take one baby aspirin(81 mg) a day because my blood work showed that i was predisposed to blood clots. The aspirin thins the blood slightly so a MUST in my case.

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
My rheumy recommended that I take 81 mg baby aspirin after I got two superficial blood clots over the course of 6 weeks that each took about a 3-4 weeks to go away. I don't think we previously saw anything in bloodwork that indicated a need for the baby aspirin (outside of a high d-dimer, which is just a clotting thingy of some sort but is not related to autoimmune stuff)...but he said that the baby aspirin should help the superficial clots stop. He said that they are usually harmless, but they are painful and ugly...that's for sure!

I haven't actually started taking the baby aspirin yet...I guess I will sometime. Kinda forgot until I saw this post.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I started taking 75mgs last year (UK low dose) because I had some anticardiolipin antibodies and my age and weight and so on. It's regarded as possible prophylaxis for blood clots. Plaquenil also slightly thins the blood. There's so much emphasis and concern these days about the very high rate of arteroclerosis and heart problems in women with lupus.
Ask your doctor first though, Florie.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
12 Posts
Low Dose Asprin

I have been on 81 mg asprin for last 8 years. I doesn't hurt to pop another pill in the cup in the morning. I had 1 heart attack and have stent. My husband was on it too, but now he is on warfarin and the doc took the asprin away. I guess the best would be to ask the dr. I don't think It would hurt if you are not on other blood thinners

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was told to take an aspirin every day even though my blood came back neg for anti cardiolipins. But I have bad headaches and bad raynauds so that is why I was told to take one. But I keep forgetting, you just reminded me-- oops!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also take 1 baby aspirin daily. My blood work came back okay for clotting but I have a very high stroke history in my family. I will be turning 51 shortly also. I would talk to your dr. first though.
Janice

·
Registered
184 Posts
My rheumy told me to take baby aspirin daily too, she actually talked to my husband I was asleep the day she called after my blood test came back about 4 moths ago, I never questioned it because I thought it was in addition to other meds to help with the inflammation, I didn't think about the blood clots, I thought prednisone thinned the blood, I thought that was the reason it is so hard to control a bleed on prednisone!! I could be wronge wouldn't be the first time!! Anyway I too have to take baby aspirin I just take the chewables:yes:

·
Registered
580 Posts
i too take a low dose aspirin once a day. and my tests have been coming out
fine ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts