The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the an urgent care clinic for poison ivy, the doctor asked me about my medication and i told her what i was on. the thing is that she told me that plaquenil is an immunosuppresant.

is this true? i was under the impression that it wasnt. can you please clarify this for me. thanks:).

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sushi,

From a technical point of view plaquenil is an immunosuppressant, however, from a medical point of view it is definitely NOT considered as one as its action is so light as to be insignificant in that respect. Any experienced lupus doctor would never describe plaquenil as an immunosuppressant.

It does not have the same immunosuppressant effect as the other immunosuppressants we usually talk about (imuran, methotrexate, cellcept...) and is NEVER used for immunosuppressive therapy, for example in the event of organ transplants. It also wouldn't increase any likelihood for infection.

Katharine

·
4,446 Posts
Hiya... no it isn't. It works by altering the cells but doesn't suppress your immune system. Plaq doesn't lower blood counts or make you more susceptible to infections. Its mild by nature and alters the acid base balance of cells which limits their ability to process antigens, which takes time...hence the long kick in of this drug... they block UV light and have an anti inflammatory effect, they also lower cholesterol by 15-20percent... they block certain pro inflammatory cytokines. Plaq also inhibits blood clotting. Alot of this info is from Daniel Wallace's book... one that I would buy for your Doc!!:(... they should not be prescribing drugs they don't understand! It makes me mad:mad: Hope that helps
Claire X

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Sushi

I am sorry about the poison ivy - it must be very painful. The doctor is wrong & you are right: Plaquenil is not an immunosuppressant. (Proof: It isn't used in transplant surgery nor in cancer treatments ) I hope you got some helpful treatment for the poison ivy and feel better very soon and manage to get some sleep !

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow talking about a quick response:):) thank you so much Katharine, and Claire, thanks for the great explanation on how plaquenil works:):). this clinic i went to was an urgent care. i needed to be seen for poison ivy.

she didnt perscribe me the plaquenil, it was just a conversation i had with her.
she actually perscribed me prednisone for the poison ivy. (my husband was in the room next to mine for the same thing) thats what i get for trying to help him out in the back yard:lol::lol:) thank you both for the very fast respond:):).

(i hope everyone is doing well, miss you all)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the same conversation with an urgent care doctor. I was told it was a "very mild immunosupressant." I think the answer is that urgent care docs are all quacks. :wink2: Actually, I happen to like the urgent care clinic here a lot more than I like my GP.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
WanePoetic;558584 said:
I had the same conversation with an urgent care doctor. I was told it was a "very mild immunosupressant." I think the answer is that urgent care docs are all quacks. :wink2: Actually, I happen to like the urgent care clinic here a lot more than I like my GP.
Then stick with the Quack if he works for you. Some times they are better.:lol:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks clare, actually the poison ivy is more itchy and annoying than anything else.:)

wanepoetic, i agree with you this doctor look at me like i had 4 heads.:lol:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hmm this is the second time I've heard this this week :rolleyes: I don't know where they get their information from:rolleyes:

Hope your itches subside soon Sushi :hug:

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It must meet some technical "requirement" to be labeled that, as that is exactly the word used on my Walgreen's Plaquenil drug hand-out sheet that is sent home with me every time. So it's probably listed as that in the little book all doctor's carry around (& is pulled up on their computer screens too).

However, as *we* all know... it's not really an immunosuppressant in all the ways already mentioned. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Lily and maia, well the urgent care doc gave me prednisone and i feel much better. its a matter of fact, i was having alot of knee and chest pain and the prednisone took care of that too.:):). its too bad that the side effects are not good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.