The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a "butterfly rash?" Please see the attached picture. It comes and goes, but it's there most of the time. It also usually feels warm to the touch, but it's not raised or scaly... It's flat against my skin. It's also not Rosacea as I regularly see a dermatologist, and it does not look/feel like Rosacea. I was recently tested for Lupus and some of my bloodwork was abnormal. My ANA was slightly high and the pattern was homogeneous. PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE AB (IGG) was high as well. I also have symptoms such as chronic pleurisy, achey joints and muscles, extreme fatigue, random low-grade fevers, headaches, poor memory, and (rarely) raised, patchy red rashes on my elbows, knees, and Achilles tendon areas. They last for about a week or so then go away leaving an ugly purple scar. I was also diagnosed with Celiac disease over 5 years ago, and I am on a very strict gluten-free diet. My dermatologist confirmed my rashes are NOT Celiac-related. I am waiting to see a Rheumatologist in February, and I am just nervous... But I want to see what some of you who have actually been diagnosed with Lupus think if the redness on my face in the picture. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, interesting. My ANA wasn't very high but it was positive, and my PCP said with all of my symptoms and stuff it would be best to see a Rheumatologist. If you don't mind me asking, was your biopsy on your face (like your "butterfly rash") or from another part of your body? Just curious!

Thanks for replying! Hopefully I will get some answers in the next couple of months. Waiting is tough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, of course I'll share. It was taken from the side of my nose. I also had lesions on my forearm, scalp and shoulders,, but he wanted to biopsy the oldest area of where my lesions appeared. My ANA is 1:80 homogeneous, so therefore called borderline positive. All other blood labs for me are negative. Let me know if I can be of further help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I will have to mention the skin biopsy to the doctor when I see him. Was your rash on your face raised and "scaly"? Mine is flat and smooth. However, the rashes I got on my elbows, knees, and Achilles tendon areas were red, raised, and "scaly." My ANA is 1:40 which is considered very low positive or even negative depending on what laboratory standards you're looking at but combined with symptoms is why my doctor is concerned. One or two other parts of my blood work were a bit off too. I just have to be patient and wait until February! But that's hard when you feel like total garbage off and on a lot but have no real answers yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Parts were flat and some areas were raised. Psoriatic arthritis is also an autoimmune disease. Considering you have lesions over joint areas with pain, that could be a possibility.Unfortunately, there are many overlapping variant in autoimmune issues which makes a dx so difficult. Hopefully you are on a cancellation list. And be sure to bring the pictures to your appointment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's interesting you say that because someone on another board mentioned Psoriatic Arthritis to me too. I will mention this to the doctor as well... Thanks for all of your insight. I know something is going on with me. Whether it be Lupus or another connective tissue disease, I just know my body and something is wrong. Best of luck with your health! Again, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi! I was in my email and saw a reminder about this thread... So it turns out that I do not have Lupus. The redness on my face is a form of Rosacea. However, I was diagnosed with a different autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis. This is where my symptoms have all been coming from. I've had severe back pain for years but always associated it with having played sports in high school and having been injured from them. Turns out it is from this progressive disease that causes inflammation, especially in the hips and spine. It also causes inflammation of tendons which explains why I've have chronic plantar faciitis and other tendon pain. I tested positive for the gene associated with this disease as well. Just thought I'd update you since I finally remembered... I had never heard of this disease until my doctor brought it up. Here's a link with more information in case you're interested in learning more: https://www.spondylitis.org/Ankylosing-Spondylitis

Thanks for your responses to my post from a while ago! I appreciate it!

·
Administrator
10,190 Posts
Thank you for letting us know. You are the perfect example of why we can't just say I have so many symptoms it must be Lupus. The entire picture needs to be accounted for.

Hope you see some improvement soon.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts