TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my gp put me on cymbalta for my fibro pain (a serontonin class of anti depressant that changes the chemical components of your brain to rid pain). 30mg was the dosage to start. After about a week of 30mg i felt pretty good, it seemed to be working though i thought i could use a bit more to get rid of the pain all together. So my GP gave me an increase of 30mg.

So, i'm taking 60mg for about 2 weeks and wow,, its great,, it stopped the pain,, but then i start to talk in my sleep. Then i start to have a bad case of restless leg in my sleep as well,, to the point my husband said he didn't think i slept because of all the movement.
Of course i don't feel myself doing any of this EVERY NIGHT but i do feel the results. Complete exhaustion from moving and talking all night. So I end up getting my sleep when i can during the day as the cymbalta wears off. Still I feel a little fibromyaglia kicking in like the cymbalta wore off but left the side effects. So my GP increase my dosage by another 30mg. 90mg of cymbalta now.

As i think about when my sleeping troubles came about ,i put 2 and 2 together to figure it might be the cymbalta,, but not wanting to give it up because it is the only thing that rid my fibro pain, i was in denial. Night after night i climbed mountains and talked to strangers in my sleep.

One day i had a sleep study done, recommended by my rhuemy. They said i didn't have sleep apnea, but i just had a lot of movement that kept me from getting into REM sleep. Hence, the total exhaustion. The pulmonologiest stated cymbalta had a habit of doing that to people. It was so bad i could drink 2 cups of strong coffee and go straight to sleep for 5 hrs.

Finally realizing the side effects of this wonder drug was not worth keeping, i began to ween myself off the drug, wondering when i would start hurting again. Finally, last wednesday i was finished with taking it all together. It has been 5 days now and God willing, i don't and prayerfully won't have any more fibro pain.

ITS GONE!

I have not had any effect of fibromyaglia since. I have exercised on my bike for and hour and still no pain. I can walk up my stairs and keep walking because, THERE IS NO MORE FIBRO PAIN!! IS THIS A MIRACLE OR WHAT?!?!
I keep moving and bending, squatting and folding, waving and flying,, but still no pain. For the past 5 days now NO PAIN. Just my arthritis pain in joints.

I think the chemicals in cymbalta have stablized the chemicals in my brain. Because even when i was on cymbalta i would have a little pain.. that's why i would ask the doc to increase it. I'm praying by weening myself off it, by body decided to take over and function properly so i would have no pain.

Another one of God's blessings has been bestowed upon me and I am forever thankful and gratefull,,,,,,,,,more importantly prayerful it stays this way.

My prayers are with you all as well. Thank you for your constant support.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have had fibromyalgia since 1989, and am currently on cymbalta, but for depression because I have had depression longer than fibromyalgia....I had heard the ideas that cymbalta would help fibromyalgia and had heard mixed results. As for me it hasn't made a single difference in my fibro pain, and another friend it didn't help either, she now takes that drug that starts with an L and it helps somewhat. Sorry it called you difficulties, but glad you're doing well now. That sure is something I have never heard of that happening before. Quite interesting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts