TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I wrote in May that I had a rheumy appointment in which I had mentioned I had this pain in the left side of my throat - sort of like a swollen gland pain but with nothing visible. This pain has been there since about December of last year.

Well anyway she said she would send me for an ultrasound on my thyroid to check out if it was goiter problems so I got the appointment in the post the other day for the end of July. I also got an appointment in the post the following day for an xray on my back for the beginning of July. Both these procedures are in the same department but the appointments were three weeks between them.

Well I put on my 'brass neck' today and rang them to see if I could synchronise them on the same day, pleading work and time as an issue. This lovely woman in the xray department said she might be able to put the two together but it would probably mean that they would be postponed further. I said not to change anything because I was now quite worried about the pain in my gland/neck area as it was getting worse by the day and was becoming a real 'pain in the neck' - pardon the pun. So she said to leave it to her and she would ring me back.

Well she rang me back about four hours later and got me in for both tests next Tuesday! What an angel! Im so pleased about this. The pain in my neck is terrible at the moment. I am going around with my hand pressed to my neck almost all the time to try and relieve the pain.

Just thought I would share this story. Sometimes hospitals can be human too and all it takes is connecting with the right person to make things happen :)

So the lesson is...dont hesitate to make a case for quicker and faster healthcare! There is nothing to lose.

Lots of love
Joan:rose:

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Joan,:)

I am glad you were pushy and getting them both done at the same time. Getting a hold of the right person makes a huge difference.

:hug: I am sorry that you are in so much pain.:( I hope your tests find out what is going on and you can get some relief.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Well done Joan :)

I really hope they find what that pain in your neck is and that you can get relief from it very soon.

Katharine

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good for you Joan:)

It just goes to show that if you speak up you may well be heard!
Hope you find out whats going on and that the pain gets btter.

Love Mrs M

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well done you!

Keep us posted on the results..

My pain in the neck has disappeared for now..... I will still be very interested to hear of your outcome.

Nicky:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks for the reminder that pushiness sometimes pays off:) I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this on Tues. and that it turns out to be easily remedied.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Joan, :flower2:

Good for you girl! I hope you get some answers soon with everything you've been through recently.

I get bored saying that we shouldn't have to keep pushing for good health care but it is the reality these days. I totally hate doing it but it has so paid off for me.

I've realised there is a knack to how you approach it so you don't get the 'tut tut' attitude down the phone but it still isn't easy. Grrr! There are many good folk that work in healthcare and it sounds like you got one of them. :)

Sending you positive thoughts Joan and hope you feel better soon :hug::foryou:

Lots'a'luv,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
:hug:Hi Joan,

Good for you... I am glad you dont have to wait long to get the tests done...And I hope everything turns out all right.... I will be thinking of you tuesday... Good luck...

Love Penny:hug:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((((((((Joan))))))))))))))) :( I'm sorry this has worsened for you to the point you are in so much pain but I'm really really glad you stood your ground and have an earlier appt!

There are still some gems out there in the health care system, sounds like you found one.

I have everything crossed for you :hugbetter:

love
Lily

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats great good for you, just shows that if you push they will move the goal posts.

Good luck I hope everything goes well for you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Joan,
I hope you manage to get this resolved.
You are sure right thet pushiness does pay off, well done you!!

Cassie :)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Joan
I am really sorry about the pain in your neck being so bad :sad:
Good for you managing to get the appointments put together and kudos to that obliging woman
I don't know about Ireland, but I am shocked at the general surliness round here. You'd think there were fines for smiling and the mean spirited pettiness is beyond belief.
I hope they find out what's wrong and can do something about it very quickly.

Many hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Joan,

I was relieved to hear of your appt, being moved up. I hope your problem, with neck pain is found out, and treated, so you find relief.. very soon.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Joan,:hugbetter:
I am so glad you were able to get them together-time, work and gas prices:eek: are every reason we need to get qppts together if possible!!!!!

I am concerned about the fact the throat pain has gotten worse-mine comes and goes, but nothing like you are feeling and I am so sorry.
I am very curious as to what could be causing you so much pain-does a goiter cause that much pain?

Please let us know what happens and I hope you will be pain free!!!!

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
117 Posts
I get weird neck pain too

I get weird neck pain too that I complain about all the time. It's always on one side and cramps up and pure hurts like the dickens. Don't know what causes it. Never thought about goiter. Had my thyroid labs come back normal! Hope they help you soon!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts