TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can any one recamend a cream for the itch it is driveing me nuts got 1 from doc not helping i have had bleeding legs with the itch help:eek:hno:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Elizabeth

Oh the dreaded itchies :(

So much depends on the cause of the itch and I wonder what cream the doctor prescribed.There are a number that might help and there are the anti histamines to be taken orally. Prednisone might be needed to get it reduced
Obviously it is not good to be scratching so hard that the skin is broken as there is a risk of infection and the itching will become still worse. It is also harder to treat topically as a number of products shouldn't be used on broken skin. If need be wear cotton gloves at night and keep the nails very very short and ultra clean.

Pressure and cold compresses can relieve itching when the area isnt too large. The use of an antiseptic ointment might help soothe and heal. Tea tree oil can be very helpful in this respect. If the itching is caused by disease then the disease needs treating or treating effectively.

All possible reasons for the itch need to be investigated- things like very dry skin,or some sort of allergic reaction : have you started any new medicines lately or refilled prescriptions which might have an inactive ingredient that you are allergic to.
Sometimes itching is due to thyroid or diabetes or even liver disease.

There are a number of threads here already about how to soothe itches but maybe you need to get back to your doctor especially if it has been going on any length of time

Good Luck in getting rid of it !

Clare

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Elisa,

I'm sorry you are so itchy. It get that way often and i have a number of remedies, depending on the origin of the itch.

Desonide cream and other steroidal creams from dermatologists usually help.

Home remedies to calm the itch, I would take a warm/hot sea salt bath. It helps the heal the sores from scratching and calms the itching.

I find a lot of times a claritin,,, allergy medicine helps lower the histamine in my system that causes itching and inflammation.

Benadryl and another taken at night,, but you have to make sure it doesn't affect your meds.

Vaseline intensive care for sensitive skin lotion works good to keep skin lubricated,,,, so does olive oil. A bit of olive oil in your tub water will soothe and soften skin.

For those bleeding legs,, If the sores are not too big i would recommend the sea salt bath before bed. It helps heal the sores and soothes the itching.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Elisa,

Sorry you are having so much discomfort from itching but as Clare said it really does need to be investgated fully.

I know a good old fashioned remedy is to put some sodium bicarbonate in the bath water which really helps. One of my friends has just done this for 3 of her 5 children that currently have chicken pox!

I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Elisa, I am sorry that you are in such a dreadfull stste right now, and you have already been given good remedies. But what bothers me is that youre dr. saw it, gave you a cream wich he thought would work approistly, and now it is not working. And worse yet, you are itching bad enough that you are bleeding. My advice:Go To Your Dr. office immediately, and just walk in and say it is an emergency, his med didn't work and you need to show him your leg. Go,Go,Go,Now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What helped me was prednisone, I was on a high dosage, and nightly baths in Aveeno. Nothing else even put a dent in the itching. I hope you find something that helps!

~Leah

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
oh the itches are horrid... i would go back to the dr..

one thing when i had the itches...it was because my skin was so dry...

i had tried everything virtually on the market..

Then my rheumy suggested AQUEOUS CRAM...its in a big tub and costa about £ 1.85 ! and its wonderful...

you can also use the cream as a wash because so many bath and shower gels dry the skin.

hope this helps ! x x

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
itches

the cream the doc gave me is dermol lotion not working i have had to put a mepore dressing on it last night my sister was going mad at me for scraching as i had my tummy bleeding thats why i out the mepore on then it went from my tummy to my legs and feet i felt sickwith it will phone doc on monday thanks to all who replyed elisabethm

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Elisabeth,

I also have itching that sometimes will lead to bleeding if I do not do something about it. I have found that prescription Attarax works best for me. Not sure what causes it and quite frankly don't care as long as that medicine works!

Goodluck,

Nancy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts