1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just a quick question really.
Is itching related to Lupus at all?
I am in a bit of a flare just now and have been scratching at my arms and legs for the past few days,i haven't changed any soaps or soap powders or anything that i can think of and was wondering if it could be related.
I have no rashes yet that would normally cause itching and the only time can remember itching like this is when i was in late pregnancy due to pre-eclampsia.
Has anyone else experienced this or even know what else it could be or am i just being silly.
Sorry to ask but id feel really silly going to the doctor regarding this when theres no obvious rash there.
Kind Regards
Gwenni xxx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Gwennie,

I'm itching just thinking about it :( poor you!

The only time I itch is from very dry skin. (That's mostly all the time though :lol: )However it's been mentioned here by a few so here is the result of a search on itching in the symptoms forum:

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/search.php?searchid=88417

I hope you sort it out soon, do you have any liver problems, that's another common cause of itching?

love
Lily

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Itchy-coo

Thanks Lily for ur reply,i dont have any problems that i know of.
Do you think i should have it checked out?
Ive just had a bath thinking that might soothe it but im still itching,aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Thanks for listening,it is driving me crazy!!!
Love Gwennie xx

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Gwennie i think that we all have had the itch somebody on the site gave me the name of a cream to get and i have found it a great help.It is called Aqueous Cream you can get it in Superdrugs hope this helps Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Gwennie,

You have my sympathy - i know excatly how you feel.

I am very itchy right now - mainly on my forearms.

I do not have a visible rash, just a few tiny scabs / lumps where i have scratched and drawn blood. Once the itch-scratch-itch cycle starts it drives me demented. I always try to rub the flat of my hand firmly over the itchy part first to avoid STARTING to scratch ... then at some point i just buckle and start scratching like a hound! It's maddening.

In my case it is definitely linked to sun / light exposure. I always start the day covered by long cotton sleeves with sun block on underneath, but because my job is outdoors and dirty I keep pushing up my sleeves ... then spending hours itching because it is a faf to re-apply sun block when you have soil and grit all over yourself.

I use Aqueous cream like Elizabeth becasue i do have dry skin to boot, so it helps a bit.
If I have none in I extend my hand cream right up to my elbows anyway. I use Body Shop's heavy duty Hemp Hand Cream. I think it is designed for men, but it is a truly thick / great hand cream. Stops my hands from cracking / bleeding in the folds and creases. I wear cotton gloves with rubber palms at the beginning of the day, but the fingers are out after a few hours. If the backs of work gloves are not cotton i itch.

Arms again ... When I know it is linked to the sun and getting ugly I use a tiny amount of hydrocortisone cream in the evenings after a bath / before bed to stop me scratching in my sleep. This is best used after asking your doctor. I use it ocassionally and only a small amount because it can thin your skin with constant use creating other problems. I have also used antihistamine creams.

You can also get Oilatum wash to tip into bath water and bathe in instead of soap, or they do a thicker Oilatum product that is a bit like a cross between vaseline and aqueous cream you can use as a moisturiser or soap - you wet your skin, rub the stuff all over your skin, then rinse it off. Does make your skin feel lovely and soft and it is fine to use it on your face.

If not using soap makes you feel less clean (you are not less clean, but it can feel that way because oilatum has very little fragrance and you miss getting a lather), you could always add a few drop of a soothing essential oil as the tap is running.

Speaking of adding to the bath - ordinary porridge oats placed in an old leg of a pair of tights, knotted, and suspended under the bath tap whilst the hot tap is running can help because there is an enzym in the oats that soothes and promotes skin healing (according to Dr David Bellamy and others). He recommended it for people with itchy psoriasis.

If i was less lazy i really would give it a go. It's on my list!

You can use aqueous cream by the bucket because as Elizabeth said, it is available at cheaper drug stores and is cheap for a great big pot.

Again - my sympathy = hope it doesn't keep you awake at night - I find a hot night in bed sets me off too. I mean hot temperature - not 'HOT'.

Take care and good luck. if you find a one product suits all situations all the time make sure you post about it please.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can also take Benadryl at full/max dose especially at night to both ease the itching and also help you sleep. I recently had a bout with itchy arms/legs (mostly hands/wrists and feet/ankles) & I believe it was due to a strange reaction to 5ths disease as my daughter had a clear case of that & I had symptoms slightly before her ;)

I would try to get in to a GP or preferable a dermy before August as this is really a problem that can drive a person quite mad!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Gwennie,

Doesn't itching drive you mad!!!! I try not to make my baths too hot and use Oilatum bath oil which Alwin suggested. Afterwards I use Cetraben emollient cream which my dermy prescribes.

The other thing I've found which is the opposite from an emollient is witch hazel. I always carry it with me and have found that it really helps stop itching.

Hope that helps,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brilliant guys,
Thanks sooo much for all your suggestions and solutions i will make a list and work through them ive even got some Oilatum and Aqueous cream somewhere as my son had a slight bout of eczema.The Oiltatum moisturiser soap and the witch hazel will be first on the list.Ill keep you guys posted.
Its just aswell hubbys on the nightshift as i would be driving him nuts aswell.
Thanks again,
Miss Itchyness xoxoxox

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am the itchy princess myself. Sometimes I feel that I have to exit the room, because it is getting embarassing to scratch my legs. Panty-hose doesnt make it any better - here in the north there is no alternative though.
Taking a bath or shower usually makes it worst because it dries the skin even more.

But the only thing that helps me is body oil. No lotion ot cream does the work that a good natural body oil does. It has to be natural though. Baby oils arent no good - those are usually liquid vaseline only.

The itching is surely a lupus thing and the worst part is the head. I cannot put any oil there though :lol:.
So if it gets really bad then usually my plaquenil dosage is increased from 200 to 400 mg a day.

I can NEVER take a shower without oiling myself all over afterwards. I feel like my skin is 5 numbers smaller and it is itching like ****!

As long my favourite jojoba oil (Apotheker Scheller) dissapeared from the pharmacies (damnit:mad:) - the Body Shop natural body oils will do.

I hope you get some relief to your problem soon!
Pamper yourself :) - body oils come in good scents ;)

Best wishes,
Ruta

·
Registered
339 Posts
Interesting.
I also get lots of itching. Ive always had hives rashes on and off. They come and go with the wind. I never know what causes them. I do get lots of raised lumps with that though but then they disappear without a trace.
I also have other types of itchy rashes but they dont usually stay in any one place for too long.
Ive often wondered too if this is to do with the Lupus. I dont have any of the really devastating skin rashes that some people with Lupus seem to have so I count myself lucky that they come and go without a trace.
I havnt much practical advice but I do take Piriton sometimes for the hives rashes.
Yours probably isnt hives though as you do get a raised rash with that.
Good luck. Now im itching just talking about it lol.
Sal x

·
11,410 Posts
Hi,

I take cooler showers, that has helped my itchy skin. I use Eucerin, calming creme. I smear it on where ever I am itching.

When my kids had the chickenpox the doctor told me that itching is a low form of pain. He said to give them something to help with that.

I have been itching since I have read this post.:bigsmile: Now where did I put my calming creme?:hehe:

Take care,
Lyn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts