The Lupus Forum banner

It's a wonderful life?

427 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Mrs M 
#1 ·
Hi to all my friends on the site. I thought I would drop in and share a piece of my life or rather my day with you. I worked 8 hours yesterday (2pm to 10 pm). Went home and did the dishes, and took care of my (yes) 8 cats :rotfl:, and my daughter was staying with a friend so also the 5 fish that are her's. By now I was a walking zombie, but yes you guessed it had a very hard time falling a sleep even after taking my hand full of pills.

My alarm went off at 4 am this morning and to my surprise I wanted to break the clock :eek:. I got up anyway and took my nice cold shower (as the neighbor had beat me to all the hot water):rolleyes:. Went throught the routine of taking care to get fresh water and food for the cats and feed the fish yet again. Now, on my way to work (which I do not remember driving to) I get there at 5:45 am to do the 6am to 10:30am. When my boss asks out of the blue are you ok? My reply was why don't I look ok? She said no you look like crap. I went home and swept my floors and went right to bed only to want to kill my alarm again at 1:pm to come back and to the 2p to 10p shift. I am not sure if I look like crap why I am still working so many hours? Well just thought I would share my wonderful day with all of you as it is finally coming to an end ( my shift that is). I hope you are all doing well and feeling better than me as fatigue right now is like saying that one is tired and needs some sleep :lol:. I miss being able to chat with all of you as my days right now are work and sleep again.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good Grief Tammy!!! :eek: Are you trying to kill yourself? I mean, we're half way there just reading that, exhausting!!!

I know this is a temporary thing but even so, so many shifts so close together.... um, that is actually illegal around here but we'll not get into that!

Katharine

#5 ·
Aww Tammy, what a flippin day. I have to say early waking would surely kill me off so I had to make mine a later start and a later finish. Before I got some time off sick I worked like a mad thing . How do you do what you do I hve no idea. When I go back it will be the same I do this 5 days a week and work at the office 10-5 Saturdays....

Morning, wake up 8.30am, sit for half an hr trying to get my body to thaw out, Shower, iron my clothes, make breakfast, dress. Drive to 1st elderly client, have a chat , deal with any problems they may have. Start housework for 2 hrs, clean a flat or house including changing beds. Make shopping list, go to the supermarket in an hr get a weeks shopping. Take shopping back, unpack.

1.30 pm Get back into the car. Drive to the office, park car, walk 5 mins to office. At my desk at 2pm work 3 hrs raising funds for charity. One hr off to eat. 6pm start work again for another 3 hrs. 9pm walk to car, get petrol or any groceries needed on the way home. Once home, clean dishes, prepare the food, eat dinner..... Take stock of any aches and pains, try to get some pain relief after the food, never really works....Usually get a call about this time from my daughter who tells me all of her problems for about 30 mins. Never asks me how I am :sad:

I sit down at about 10.30 at nite every nite and can't sleep when I stop due to adrenalyn rushes :blush: madness!!

Your not alone Tammy but you are doing too much :hug:

#6 ·
I think my friend Tammy is trying to win the "SUPERWOMAN AWARD"!:lol::lol:

Honey, you must slow down or your going to drop. I thought my days lately have been crazy but after reading this I feel like I am on a vacation.

In my humble opinion you really need to slow down a bit and take it easy. I know that is easier said then done when your supporting yourself but I am afraid if you keep going like this it will take it's toll on you.

We love you here and want the best for you. Take care of yourself and think about reducing your hours please.:wink2:

#7 ·
good grief Tammy and Pollianna, I am absolutely exhausted by reading this thread. I mean, I know, my life used to be like that too, I haven't always been a lady of leisure but wow, I just couldn't... I don't know what meds they'd have to put me on to get through either of those days!!!

Katharine

#8 ·
goodness gracious tammy!! :eek:

i know you have to work so support you and your daughter and the other 8 children :wink2:, but there is a thing called moderation. i can barely keep up with my house and 3 cats (little messy piggies that they are). i have to have at least 9hrs sleep and occasionally a nap during the day. i'm not even human til around 10:30am or so.'alittle better.
i' amazed abslutely amazed. please try to slow down just a bit so i don't have to worry.

stay well my friend:hug:

hugs and kisses

#9 ·
Tammy and Pollianna, I could not do a fraction of what you do. You don't need me to tell you that this isn't good for you-you both know that!
What I will say is that I admire your courage in persevering, but I do wish it wasn't necessary for you.
I am on Disability and it is such a relief.
x Lola

#11 ·
Good grief Tammy I can so relate is some way as probably can others. Although I do not have children to support, I do also have 2 cats a dog and hubby has a horse (which my sister in law says on its own is more expensive than having kids lol). I used to work every day 9am - 6pm usually without a lunch break because someone needed me for something.I was also volunteering as a St John Volunteer so was out most weekends too.

I fell apart in the doctors office just over a year ago (around a year after my diagnosis) and she told me to drop my hours "you cannot do it all not with SLE". She actually wanted to sign me off but I felt that I needed to keep working and have some routine. It was the best thing I ever did. I thought I was super woman and thought I could it all and the house and the husband and the animals (worse than having kids!).

There are still times when the boss says you look like c**p, she so has a way with words, but these days it is less frequent.

Look after yourself Tammy and make sure you get plenty of rest even if you don't sleep. The one thing I think I have learned over the last couple of years is the most important thing is my health. If I don't look after myself I am no use to anyone else including my pets (I have a dog and 2 cats), but finding the right balance can be a bit hard but it is so worth it. If money is a worry with cutting back on your hours, you might want to look into disability or other help you might be able to get.

Take care!

Claire xx

#12 ·
I did want to thank everyone for your concerns and believe me I am concerned for myself at this point as I am so tired. It is impossible to keep up with everything but the animals are not suffering I would never let them. The thing is my boss has not even had her surgery yet and she has me working all these hours. I can't do this, I know I can't now as I feel like a walking zombie. I can't remember driving to work or going home or if I turned off the coffee pot, if I ate today or took my meds, it is just too too much for me. It will sadden my heart but I have to tell her she is going to have to figure out another way to get hours covered I can not do it. I will put myself in the hospital if I try. This little spell has mad me sick, so I can imagine what 4-6 weeks of this would do to me. I have the day off monday so will have to make a trip in here to talk with her and face the music of her being mad. I can not help all of this and she will just have to face it that it is time I start taking care of me and me first. As many of you have said in your posts to me and I myself have told many others, if you don't take care of yourself than it won't matter about everything else anyway. I did file for disability and just had my phone interview and she upped my hours. I think I am at the point were I want to stop working it just is hurting to much to keep working and a hand full of pills 3 times a day to work is just not worth it, not to me any more. I will find away to adjust to not working but right now it sounds nice and the idea in my head is a wonderful picture of never being this tired again. Thanks for all of your posts and for your words of encouragement from all of you. You guys and the site are what is keeping me going at the moment, so you do mean more to me then any of you could ever imagine.

#13 ·
(((Tammy)))

Do you have a doctors script that says you can only work so many hours a week? If not I would look into that, then your boss could not work you past those hours.

Good luck in your decision. You are right we have to look after ourselves because no one else will.
Take care and get some much needed rest.
Love,
Lyn

#14 ·
Hi Tammy, I was wondering how you were going to cover for your boss when she goes to hospital and have expressed my concern before... but couldn't resist passing up a chance to nag you one more time...:lol: Since diagnosis last autumn my husband has 'sacked' me from our family business and I have struggled with not doing very much, but it sure makes you re-evaluate your life and I can see how many other people's responsibilities I was taking on and worrying about, to the detriment of my own health. Your boss has a responsibility to your health as do you; I can't tell you how much better both physically and mentally I feel now compared to last year. Of course the odd financial thought niggles at me and I feel very guilty taking time out in a way as it is soooo alien to me. Perhaps you can do some of the hours around your illness rather than trying to plough through them? It would be good if somebody could do the early am shift for you... perhaps you would then manage the pm? It depends when is the 'better' time for you to be working :rolleyes:...If I was your boss I would rather get it discussed and sorted before surgery so I wouldn't be worrying or trying to arrange cover during or after.. so do go talk to her and ..final nag... BE KIND TO YOURSELF !
Lots of hugs, Claire X

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.