Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone might have some ideas or been through something similar and can offer me some advice.

I have had pain in my lower jaw for several days which I first thought was to do with a sinus infection and then might be a tooth ache. (apparently sinus doesn't affect the lower jaw) The pain became very severe, I went to the dentist and he did thorough testing including x-rays and came up with nothing. He says my teeth look fine.

The pain continued to become worse and unbearable. I was taking tramol every 4 hours with little relief. Yesterday morning at 6.00 am the pain was so intense that I couldn't stand it. Pacing the floor, flinching feet and rocking and feeling terrible. The pain had become like spasams or electric shocks - reaching along my jaw to my ear and also my chin and it still felt like it was in my tooth, or under a tooth. Even the top teeth were hurting (referred pain?)

My husband took me to the ER and they checked me out, gave me Digesic as I am alergic to codine and so all the good stuff is no good for me! They did ultra sounds of my jaw and neck, took and x-ray of my cheek and jaw. They did all kinds of tests for TMJ but say I don't have that. They are at a loss to know what is happening.

Meanwhile they gave me a box of digesic and told me to take them 4 hourly and to come back if they pain didn't resolve. Well...I need to take them 3 - 3/12 hourly or the pain goes back to the worst pain with the shooting, stabbing spasms.

My worry is, that if I go back to the ER I will not be in severe pain cause I am taking the digesic, so will they take me seriously? I don't want to stop the pain killers as the pain is much to bad for me to bear if I don't have them. I only have enough digesic to last me till 6 am tomorrow. I tried pushing myself this morning by going to 4 1/2 hours between digesic and I could barely cope with the pain.

I think I have just talked myself into going back anyway! Sorry this sounds so convoluted and confused, the drugs make me feel quite out of it.

Could this be anything to do with lupus pain or fibro pain?

I am sad to say I always battle feelings of being a fraud with lupus and fibro, now having this pain that nobody can find a reason for is making me all the more like a failure.

Hoping someone has some good ideas for me.

Sorry for the long whinge.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Lyn and ((((((((hugs)))))))) to you, that pain sounds unbearable!

I'am afraid I don't have any ideas as to what could be causing it. I have had passages of jaw pain but thankfully much milder than that and I think mine is more nerve related than anything else. If my memory serves me well it is quite possible in fibro. I remember Mum suffering from it dreadfuly at one stage but don't know what they said was cauing it.

I would certainly go back to the doc. Is there no way you could get an appointment with your rheumy who would hopefuly know a lot more about it than the A&E team?

sorry to not be of much more help,
Katharine

·
Registered
149 Posts
It sounds a bit like trigeminal neuralgia, and if it is, then no amount of pain killers are going to make it subside completely. There are a few drugs that do work well on this, though they can have other side effects. Tegretol is one. I think you need to go back to a doctor about this one. If you talk about it as "nerve pain" then you might get them to prescribe something more appropriate. Also make sure you tell the doctor that you have checked out dental problems and it isn't that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree it does sound very much like trigeminal neuralgia, I had a very bad attack of it last year, at the time I had been to the dentist to have a tooth out and a couple of days later the pain was unbearable. I ended up in the Hospital and they were not interested really and gave me pain killers. It is the most horrific pain, it feels like electric shocks going from your jaw to your head, to your teeth..In the end I was given tegratol which worked. I had my parotid gland out last September and had a very vicious attack following the surgery, but Thank goodness have not had it since. It is a pain that I will never forget as long as I live!
I am no expert of course, and you need to find out for sure what it is.
Love
Rosie

·
Registered
642 Posts
HI Lin
I had jaw and face pain when flaring badly but it was like my usual lupus type pain........grinding, sometimes gripping, stiffening and much worse in the mornings. Also like lupus pain it responded to steroids and nsaids.
Yours does sound like trigeminal neuralgia.
I remember nursing somebody with it who would jump amp cry with the pain.
Try googling it.
Tactfully mention it at the ER...........some docs don't like to be told

·
2 Posts
I am going through the same pain. It has been agony for 2 days. I call this nonsense, phantom pain. Your fraud comment was perfect. I have been sick off and on for 21 years. The last 2 have been bad and I have CNS involvement. This truly is a nightmare of highs and lows. Did you experience mood swings before or during your episode? I agree with the post below about the nerve trigeminal neuralgia. I might as well be invisible with this invisible disease.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Debra80.
This is a very old thread and the original poster hasn't been back since October 2008.
I am going to close this thread.
Perhaps you would like to start a thread about this symptom.
Take care,
Lyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.