TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Everyone:

I found this while doing some research and found it rather interesting. I hope the link works. It explains employers what they have to do in order to accommodate us at work in the US. Let me know your thoughts. :)

Love -- Susie

Job Accommodation Network

·
Registered
460 Posts
suzie,

thanks for the valuable link

just my opinion, i think it should be pinned...a very valuable link for those of us who try to stay (by the skin of our teeth) in the work force

thanks again i hope many others check this out

:love: sue

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I vote for pinning!

I wish I had seen this site when I was requesting accomodations. My employer tried to use my request as a way to get rid of me. Mine was a physically active job in a small space, so she figured that if I couldn't do the job as stated, I couldn't do it at all. I fought for three months, got a chair, used it for 1 month, then went out on disability.

But my boss had to pay $350 for a chair I'm no longer using!! ;)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Wow Susie, thanks for this link :flowers: A good find and very helpful information. I've done the deed and pinned it :D

love
Lily

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great post! :thumbs:

Once we get some more ink, gonna print it out and leave it for the hubby to read. He is a supervisor at his job. It not only may help him with people under him, but maybe with us also. :erm:

Got one question though, isn't there five types of Lupus? :shrug:

It says that there is only three types, but sure thought I'd read somewhere there were five.

Thanks again though for posting it, it is still very useful.

Vanilla65

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the link. It was great. I printed it for my family. I did not know there were 5 types of lupus. What are the different types?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
:wave: hi i'm new to the site and was very interested to read your accommodation at work.
being in the uk we dont get things like this i lost my job five years ago because i was not up to the work; I have tried to get disabilaty alowance with no luck, so in fact my husband is keeping me and paying for my medication, trips to the hospital, and every thing else.
If i showed my old boss this paper to accommodate me he would have laughed, why is America doing things to help Lupus sufferers when uk just laugh? :angry:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am from the US and it is not different than the UK. I just recently lost my job that I have had for 5 years.
When they hired me I was honest and told them I had lupus, that was okay with them. I don't believe they really knew what my illness was. After little over 3 years my doctor put me on only part time work and my work accepted that. They gave me a different job and every thing seemed to be okay. Well two weeks ago they had a meeting with me and told me my job was going to a full time position and if I wanted the job I could take it. They knew I could not take the job, because of medical reasons, so it was in their favor to use that as an excuse to get rid of me. To go back a year, they would not give me a rise because I was only part time and they felt as if they were carrying me. What a thing to be told! :eek: I was a very good worker, always there, even when I was sick, but I guess that does not matter.
So,now here I am looking for a job in a rural area and no one wants to hire me part time with a medical disability and with my age.
It doesn't matter where you live, there is discrimition every where.
Thank you for the web site. I copied some of the info.
Esther :flowers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hI, i WAS BORN WITH Lupus SLE and obviously have constant symtoms, sooo if i gave up then i wouldn't be replying know. I think a positive mind encures a Healthy body,

Never Quit, apart from smoking!
Bevi

·
Registered
42 Posts
Susie, this is great. Thanks for posting it. My University ordered filters for the lights in every room I enter in our department. I was so grateful, I cried. I did not even ask, one day I walked in to have the Chair of the Department tell me about it. It was really wonderful. I only wish everyone's boss was as understanding.
Best,
Chelsea :coffee:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Eileen 2nd, things are the same the world 'round. Laws don't create compliance. If one has a compassionate employer, one will get help. If not, you won't--at least in my experience. The cold-hearted employer will find every way to get around the law. I didn't have the energy to fight through the union or in court, so I settled to the memory of what my employer had to pay for the chair I used for a short time.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am confused. What do you mean by this site. What site are you talking about. Is it this one that I amin right now or something else.Pleas let me know. Sincerely Tammy

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Tammy,

the 1st post on this thread, - started by Susie BB- at the bottom of her post, is a link- it says Job Accommodation Network.

That is underlined- that is the link to the site- Click on that, & it will take u to the site.

Hope that helps. & Welcome to this site!!
Take care,
Alicia :coffee:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful post on the site. It can be very helpful information to any of us trying to stay in the workforce! I am a :nurse: and up until 7 weeks ago had worked 5 years in ICU. We got a new director who would not help me out at all with the breaks, etc saying if I couldn't keep up the pace them she would fire me. 12 hour shifts were getting the best of me and my doc advised that I change departments and find one with less stress, etc. Now I am a home care :nurse: and alot of the things mentioned on this site were done for me. Not because I have lupus, but because they feel that this is how a department should be run. I now have a wonderful director who knows my health problems and is willing to work with me and the others is my department who have various ailments. Hard to believe that some health care people look at us as whinners, etc. Being in the field that they are, they should have a little more compassion and understanding. I was truly blessed when I made the move that I did and found such a great department to work in. :flowers: :jump:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently in the position where my boss is very unwilling to make any accomodations for me. The party line is that the job requires full-time work, travel and they would like 60 hr a week. I obviously can't do all of that and not get sick. I have tried and tried and it just doesn't happen. I am fairly sure that they are trying to get rid of me. They are going after the approach that I am not meeting my objectives when I am out sick. It's funny, when people take two week vacations, their work doesn't get done either. I just have to wonder what is wrong with corporate America right now. I have worked for thei company for 20 years and have worked my hard hours on my feet in the middle of the night on some factory floor. (I am an engineer.) Does someone have any insight on how to approach this?

Thanks,

Mary Kay

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very nice link and it may be very useful to some people. However as a supervisor where I work I know that companies can and do find ways around this stuff.
Such as saying that the needed accomidations are not possible with the job that you work. They can then use the fact that you need the accomidations to show that you are unable to do the job that you were hired for.
Just a warning I have seen it happen, anything that can help you can also be used to hurt you. When you go into an employer and ask for special accomidations think first about the job that you do and just what can be done to accomidate that job and keep the job process running smoothly.

For instance if you work a cash register at a store it may be exceptable to ask for a chair so you do not have to stand so long.
If you carry groceries at the same store a chair will get you out the door.
If you work the register it may be ok to ask to be placed at a register further from the door so that you don't get cold air when it opens, it may also be ok to ask for the ability to wear a sweater or a jacket to help keep you warm, mittens are probably out of the question as are walls with special temprature controls.

I warn this because I have seen people come in and demand changes to the point where they demand there self out of a job. There can be a fine line between resoanable job accomidations and unreasonable job accomidations. As the article says it does not say what deseases qualify to make you disabled, the law also does not stipulate what is reasonable accomidations and what is justification to let you go.
This is always looked at individually and is determined by employer, work invironment, what job you were hired to do and what other jobs may be available for you to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if there is anything like this for people living in Canada, specifically Ontario. I would love to see it if it is out there. Let me know.
Heather
Northern Ontario

1 - 20 of 48 Posts