The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gradually, over the past month or so, my joints have been acting up more and I have been getting more fevers. I saw my rheumy last week and we decided to increase my methotrexate from 0.6 ml to 0.7 ml (17.5 mg) and to take Ibprofun every 4-6 hours as needed. I feel like my joints have gotten worse in the past week. My knees have visible fluid and it is painful to walk. I don't want steriods if I don't have to. Should I try to wait until the methotrexate takes effect? (4 weeks) or Call back and see if I can get steriods. The problem is he can't see me in the office b/c I'm back in Milwaukee as a student. I am scheduled to see a new rheumatologist in Milwaukee but that isn't until March.
Julia

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think this depends on how much the pain/swelling is interfering/affecting your life. And how good your response has been to prednisone in the past...

Really this is something only you can answer with your doctor's advice of course. Personally I would go for the prednisone. It's the only thing that helps it seems for me when my joint pain gets bad.

Also, you may want to ask about a different NSAID. Advil is about the least recommended NSAID for a lupus patient. There are others that are gentler on kidneys, and require less frequent dosing & don't have the (rare) potential to cause aseptic meningitis that is unique to lupus patients.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Julia! I see you are a med student! I am starting med school in the fall in Cincinnati! I am a little scared, but more excited than anything. :blush:

Anyway, I was reading your post and noticed you said you have an appointment in March where you are now. Since you are in pain, and things aren't going well, why don't you call the office and tell them that... I know here, if I am having a bad week/day/or what ever, they will see me sooner than my appointment. Just a thought. I don't know how it works in the US ( I am in Canada) but it won't hurt to try and see them sooner. Also, is there some sort of health office for students at your school? Maybe they can work with your rhumy and give you something until you get to see him.

If that doesn't sound doable, then why not call your rhumy in Minnisota, and tell them what you are experiencing. There should be a way to fax or call in a prescription for anything (should you need it) at any local pharmacy.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Julia, I may be reading your post wrong,but, to me it sounds like you need something for pain, and you need something for swelling. Because of that I would deffinatly put in a call to your dr. and make sure if he will give you something, let him know you have moved and why. I am sure he may be able to phone in something. I hope you get somme help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called my rheumy's office in MN because he saw me a week ago. He gave me a course of 15mg prednisone with taper. I hope it works quickly because this is really really not fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts