The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Had my follow-up appointment with PCP since seeing rheumy. I showed him which joints I have had issues with in the past or presently. The knuckles in my fingers that are affected are the middle knuckles and knuckles closer to my fingertips. He said if it was autoimmune it would be the knuckles that are where the fingers and hand meet (the main knuckles of your hands). Is this true?? I don't have any pain in those knuckles. He said the pain I am having is from osteoarthritis. I am just so tired and confused.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

I get joint pain in the finger joints from lupus, so I'm not sure that his statement is true. Also, if he thinks it is osteo, has he done X rays to confirm this? Osteoarthritis causes joint degeneration, wheras lupus rarely does. So if he is being thorough, an x ray is needed.

All the best with your diagnostic journey:hug:

X C X

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've experienced pain in virtually every finger joint over the years. The worst for me are the middle joints and the base of my thumbs.

Although it is true that some joint pain is more commonly associated with osteoarthritis, lupus can affect just about any joint in the body.

·
4,445 Posts
Me too.... my fingers are stiff on each joint most mornings and I was x rayed when the symptoms started... no osteoarthritis. So your doc is wrong, you can have finger joint pain without it being arthritic....:) Honestly perhaps they should get on this forum....:rotfl: Hope they get a bit easier soon.
Claire X

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi,

I will also add that I get pains and stiffness in all joints of fingers, just not all at same time! The stiffness and pain leads from time to time to not being able to have power in hands at all!

As Cath has said if you problems are caused or suspected to be caused by Osteoarthritis then its time for an X-ray!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi sorry see u have joint pains i do also but currently on meds for rheumatoid arthritis.

my worst affected are joints closest to knuckles,but also ankles,toes,shoulders,knees.
mine are all symentrical along wiht joint inflammation.
im also being tested for lupus so far diagnosed photo sensitive rash-butterfly styley.

xar hands be great for u.
lv countrylass

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.