The Lupus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any proven trials where Juice Plus has helped people with Lupus? A friend of mine is trying to convince me that taking this will improve my condition.
I take plaquenil for my lupus with a muscle relaxer and pain med as needed. That's my entire tretment plan for the SLE.
I've also been prescribed celebrex 200 mg tabs a day because I have now developed degenerative arthritis. However, that one is too expensive for me.
Anyway, would appreciate any heads up on the juice plus that anyone has.
Thanks,
C

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Cherylynn,

I haven't tried Juice Plus. I just wanted to welcome you to the site. Glad you have joined us. I hope you find the site helpful.

Well meaning friends are always telling me about some product or another to try in hopes of making me feel better. Personally I would just rather eat right in the first place and know exactly what I am getting. I enjoy eating and would hate to miss out on the wonderful flavors each of the fruits and veggies offer.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
4,445 Posts
Be careful of anything that boasts it immune boosts... its our immune system thats attacking us; it certainly doesn't need boosting to do that!!!!
Claire

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the Forum

To answer your question simply, there are no trials which suggest that this product helps people with Lupus. Juice Plus is a multi level marketing product with many dubious claims. Just google it and there is plenty of info online. Here's just one link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_Plus

Of the published peer-reviewed studies on Juice Plus products, seven were funded and/or authored by the manufacturer, Natural Alternatives International (NAI) six were funded by the main distributor, NSA and two were funded by individual Juice Plus distributors. Only one was conducted independently and that had nothing to do with the benefits to people with Lupus or indeed any other autoimmune disease.

I would suggest that you firmly tell your friend that before you part with your hard earned cash, you would like to see proper evidence of how it benefits people with Lupus. There are far too many claims out there for a variety of different products which are said to benefit this and that illness. Its the lowest of the low in my opinion - preying on vulnerable and unwell people who are desperate to feel better.

Save your money and eat well.

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Juice Plus and Lupus

Juice Plus makes no claims to help any disease. If they did, they would become classified as a drug by the FDA. Since it's only fruit and vegetable concentrate that would be silly.

I felt the same skepticism when I first learned about Juice Plus. I heard about it from a family member and I just wanted her to go away. I was on 7 meds and a shot every day. I had trouble trying to eat fruits and veggies. I knew they were good for me, and my disease but I just wasn't motivated. I bought some just to try (and to make my family member leave me alone). lol

The government and the cancer society don't say to take a multiple vitamin. They say to eat fruits and vegetables. Juice Plus is definitely not a replacement for fruits and veggies. But it did give me the desire to eat more of them instead of food that hurt my body.

Within the first month I started removing meds. It has been over a year and I'm down to 2 meds. I love fruits and veggies now and that is worth all the money I spend on Juice Plus. It and the desire to eat more fruits and veggies has put my body into a balanced state. All I can say is it worked for me.

I have people that ask me specific questions about Juice Plus curing this or that, but the bottom line is that it's just fruits and veggies.

All the gold star, third party clinical results point to benefits. Someone has to pay for studies but when they are third party and gold star placebo tested, the company is not allowed to know about the outcome until the study is finished. They are not allowed to tell Yale university that they want a particular outcome. There are several extremely reputable universities that have done these studies. Nobody tests fruits and vegetables. They should.

I thought about asking my doctor about it, but then I thought "What am I going to say? Can I eat more fruits and veggies?" Doctors don't even take the governments recommendation about eating more fruits and veggies seriously. At least not my 12 doctors. They tell me to take a vitamin. Vitamins have never helped me get rid of medicines. They have never made me feel good and they have never motivated me to eat more fruits and veggies. I'm saving a lot of money in my food budget now that I am giving my body what it needs and not spending on food that doesn't have nutrition that is actually absorbed.

I used to eat food that I thought I wanted, so I would stop and eat something. I was hungry again later. Now I give my body fruits and veggies and it is happy that I give it what it needs to heal. My new motto is if man makes it, don't eat it. If nature makes it(i.e. fruits and veggies), it's good for my body.

I wouldn't answer this if I didn't believe it for myself. But if I thought it was even questionable I wouldn't suggest it. All I have to say is, "It's not a miracle cure. It's fruits and veggies. Give it a try. It's not bad for you and it will probably help." Good Luck and have a fabulous journey getting well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a lot of research available that shows why fruits, vegetables, and berries in your diet are key to healing and protecting your body from disease. The combined nutrients of these foods are essential for the variety of
system functions within the body. The problem is that most people don't eat the required amount of these foods daily. Today the requirement is 13 to 17 servings per day, but more is better. Beyond the numbers of servings, is the importance variety and color. We all know that availability is seasonal. Juice Plus is just the phyto nutrients of a variety of fruits, berries and vegetables (22) that have been juiced and cool-dried and encapsulated. There are no artificial or toxic additives. It's pure, whole food in a capsule. If you look at the label on the jars, it does not say "supplement" label, it says "nutrition" label. Are you tired of juicing? NSA has done it for you. There is no claim of healing any specific disease or health issue, just the guarantee of whole food nutrition that your body needs to heal and protect itself. There is nothing else like it on the market today. Nor is it a promise of a quick fix. It
takes time for the body to begin to respond to the healthy diet, since it takes time for the body to use these nutrients and renew cells and organs. In addition, each person's body is in a different stage of disease, and will take
a different amount of time to begin to show benefits from the Juice Plus nutrients. In regard to vitamins, there is no research that shows that they are even bio-available to the body when ingested, much less able to heal the
body. Do the research. There is a ton of gold standard research that has been done on Juice Plus at highly reputable research institutions, and it is available on the Juice Plus website or if you google it. It's just fruits and vegetables folks. You can give your body what it needs to function like it is supposed to, and it can make you feel better.

·
3,294 Posts
Hi jp4life
Welcome to the forum. Do you have Lupus?

This is an old thread so I will close it now but feel free to start your own in the 'Introduce yourself' section to tell us a little more about yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.