TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't even know if this is the right place to post this ... but I just got a letter for Federal Jury Duty. I have to call in every Friday night for a 2 month period!!! If they need me they'll let me know then ... I'm feeling OK now, although I just went back to work after being off for the summer (teacher). I did pick up my first illness this week - stomach bug. So, my question is, should I ask my doctor for a note to excuse me? I cannot predict how I'll be feeling from November 1st through January 2nd (yep, every Friday night for that whole time period!!!). And do doctors regularly write a letter excusing lupus patients?

Thanks - this is my first time posting, although I've been lurking around for about a year and a half.

Ann

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Ann :hello: :wavey: :hello:

First of all :welcome: to the lupus site and its great that you have taken the plunge and started posting. I hope you find that your questions and queries are answered. Also i hope you manage to make some good friends here like i have.

Back to your post about jury service, i was asked to do it about 2 years ago and i asked my gp what she thought about me doing it and she said it wasn't a good idea to do. She wrote me a letter which i returned to the jury service and i then received a letter from them saying that i had been excused. I do have a few other things going on besides lupus but i think it would be worth chatting to your doctor about it and see what he/she says about it.

Take care :bunny: Jo :bunny:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Annie and welcome :)

I would certainly ask your doctor about this one. It is just the kind of thing that for me can tip me over the edge. I'm actually not faced with that decision as I have not taken Belgian nationality and don't vote either so I don't get asked. I mean, I even have trouble with parent/teacher evenings...and as you say, knowing how you will be is impossible in such an unpredictable disease.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Ann,
Glad you felt able to post.
I have never done Jury Service but knowing me I would be lucky to get through without falling off the chair or something equally undignified!
x Lola

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Ann,

Definitely check with your doctor. Let him know your concerns about never knowing how you will feel. It is important for each juror to be able to make it through the full length of the trial.

I have served twice and survived. My biggest problem was having to sit so long and so still. I had to be helped out at the end of each day.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There was just a news story about a big trial near us and they were talking about the jury duty and I was hoping they don't pick me! I'm just like you where I can be OK for a period of time but then there are other times where I could *not* handle sitting in a hard chair for 8 hours a day. And you never know how you will be from day to day...

Hope you're recovering well from that stomach flu. Those are some nasty bugs to get over!

I would also ask your doctor if a note would be a good idea to try to get excused if necessary.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I've been excused from jury duty for life - I can't think of anything I would less rather do than sit around a court all day but then again it is a very important public service. I was excused on the basis of stroke syndrome.

if you don't want to do it (and I certainly didn't) talk to your doctor - this was one thing I was very happy to wiggle out of.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr. said NO!!!

My doctor - rheumatologist - said she didn't think lupus is a reason for not serving on jury duty. I liked her ... until now. She's seen me at my worst, when I was so defeated and feeling like it just wasn't worth plowing through obstacles .... I'm really floored by this. Yes, I'm doing well now and I want to keep it that way. I've emailed my GP to see if she will write one. Gosh, can you imagine me on a trial jury and having lupus fog? Or the stomach issues which sometimes come with a flare? Or falling asleep as a crucial part is being explained?

Maybe it's time to change doctors ....

Ann

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Ann

I have to say I'm aghast that your Rheumy took that attitude:mad: You must be hopping mad. I hope your GP has the good sense to excuse you. I would not, in a million years, be able to commit to jury duty. For goodness sake I never know from one day to the next how Im going to be :mad:

If it's at all possible I would change doctors on the basis of her comments to you :mad: She deserves a good boot :mad:

Much hugs and strength. Grrrrrr...... (on your behalf....)

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yikes Ann, that's rough... I had a quick thought, are you sure your rheumy understood how long your duty would be ? the fact that it is grand jury ? Or did rheumy just see 'jury duty' and jump the gun thinking it was a one-time deal.. and not such a long term 'ordeal'... Good Luck ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doctor

Yes, the doctor understood the length of the duty. Well, the potential length and that I was "on call" for two months (stressful enough w/o lupus) and could potentially be on a jury for 5 - 7 days (approximate according to the papers they sent me). The thing is, she's been pretty good to me other than that ... sent me to great referrals (nephrologist and hematalogist - I also have ITP). Although she didn't quite believe that the plaqenil caused severe nightmares to begin with ....

I'm waiting to hear back from my GP. Even if I switched doctors it wouldn't be in time to get a letter (if my GP won't do it) ... sigh. All I ever wanted was a peaceful, quiet, uneventful life. HA!!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well, if she's taking care of you medically but just won't write a note to get you out of jury duty... she's probably worth keeping. The medical care you get from her is probably worth it, and since you are in a good spot right now and might be for the next few months... maybe it is hard for her to write a note excusing you. Maybe there are legal requirements for such notes that goes beyond her control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GP

My GP refused to write a letter too because I'm "medically stable". What don't they understand about the ups and downs of lupus? Yes, I am not spitting nails and figuring why should I take care of myself if it really doesn't matter? Rhetorical question, but still, what the heck is the sense in it if my own doctors don't understand how it fluctuates? Sigh. Thanks for listening. I will have to decide if I'm going to chuck both the gp and rheumatologist. Of course I'm medically stable .... I slept until I woke all summer and did absolutely nothing (other than read books). No sense in talking about it anymore - it's just bringing me to tears.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Oh dear Annie:sad:

I'm sorry that this intrusion in your life is bringing you to tears. The fact that both your medical professionals dont 'get' the unpredictability of this disease must be very hard on you. I completely understand the civil duty involved in jury duty and I dont want to get embroiled in that debate. This is not about that.

This is about the fact that the stress of making this type of commitment is simply bad for your health. Thats already evidenced by your anxieties and your post. It is not only unfair to you but it is completely unfair to the person potentially on trial. Good grief there must be enough other people around who have good health and who can commit to this type of civil duty.

I have no answers for you Annie except to say that I would recommend that if there is any particular time that you simply cannot attend, that you present to either your GP or A & E and get a note excusing you. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Take good care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Annie,

I agree that it may be time to find a new doctor.

That being said, I hope your GP writes that note for you.

If you are in the US, as I am, then the letter will excuse you from duty.

I am sorry that your Rheumatologist took that attitude with you.

By the way, welcome to the board. I am so glad you decided to post after lurking for 1 1/2 years.:rotfl::rotfl:

This is a great group of people here and they are both supportive and knowledgeable too.

Let us know how you make out.:wink2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts