The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I had mentioned in a previous post that I am a Licensed/Certified Masssage Therapist, well for the last 2 months I have been receiving Reiki Treatments. The treatments have certainly improved my energy level at times. However, my main reason for this post is to share something that my Reiki Healer shared with me and I had never given this a second thought until she brought it to my attention.

In our conversations she took notice to the fact that I would constantly refer to this illness as "my Lupus." With everything I would describe or discuss with her I would always say, my Lupus this, my Lupus that. It dawned on me that I have done this since a child being first diagnosed. If someone asked how I was I would reply with "my Lupus is acting up,"or "my Lupus is good."

Well, from day one of treatment with her she said something to me that I found very profound and I have made every effort to follow through with it.

She said, I want you to stop referring to this disease as YOURS....."my Lupus".....she said, "by doing this your letting your mind own this illness and you don't! " You don't have ownership of this disease." She described the illness as being there like a blanket on top of me hovering.
Likewise this illness does not own us and I think if we don't obtain the right mindset it's very easy to fall into that feeling that it does own us and that it has more control over our well-being than we do. Turst me I am very guilty of this especially when you are going through such a hard time, with no relief, and finding no answers.

I have found for myself that just changing a small phrase out of my daily vocabulary has made quite an impact on my thinking. I just wanted to share this with you all, and I was curious if you took more notice how many of you would find that you do in fact refer to this illness as "your Lupus?"

·
Registered
328 Posts
You are SO right!! Someone also pointed that out to me as well, and it's true, we claim the disease as our own. I've also trained myself to not use the words "my lupus". I was told that "to claim the disease as your own, how on earth are you going to beat it?"

I don't know if it's done any good, but it sure makes alot of sense, the power of the mind.

Interesting eh:)

Karin

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi pam

Thanks for the information,that's interesting to know!

It does make sense because we are not our disease...I think I do mostly refer to it as 'the lupus' but I thought that was because I hadn't fully accepted the disease..aren't our perceptions strange sometimes :) I still have trouble with talking about lupus to others though,I think it's because as you said in your other post pam not many people know about it..I never had a problem talking about rheumatoid arthritis when I thought I had that..strange :rolleyes:

pam I was also wondering if you are aware that when you have reiki treatments you can in fact get worse before you get better?It is known as a healing crisis which is quite common the same thing happened to me..I was just thinking it could have contributed to you feeling worse recently?but don't worry it does settle & then you will feel the benefit..

I have passed both level 1 & 2 in reiki so I am classed as a qualified reiki practitioner now although I haven't done much about it :rolleyes: I do only want to treat family & friends though,as a hobby...I still find it hard to believe that it works!even though I have experienced it working!it really is quite bizarre :)

sorry to ramble on :eek: good luck with your treatments pam
take care..karen x :love2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Interesting...

I recently changed jobs and was asked by a family member - 'but what about your Lupus, your current employers are so good about it what with all the hospital appointments and time off....' to which I replied 'well if I was asthmatic or diabetic you wouldn't question me so why should this be any different'

I was a bit annoyed and mentioned to my boyfriend that I will have a normal life regardless of having Lupus - it doesn't define who I am.

I do however refer to it as 'my Lupus' as I feel that this takes ownership of the control over it and because 'my Lupus' is different to my friends Lupus.

Interesting perspective though...

AmandaB

·
Registered
580 Posts
i never used to refer to it as anything being that it never bothered me

but when the symtoms started coming on, i did started to refer of it as

'my lupus' but i only started doing this because i heard someone else with lupus refering to it the same way.

so i got into the habit of doing the same thing. ty for posting this because now my mind set will change i will no longer say 'my lupus' because it doesnt own me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lupusgal68;492171 said:
"

Likewise this illness does not own us and I think if we don't obtain the right mindset it's very easy to fall into that feeling that it does own us and that it has more control over our well-being than we do.

"
just remember, there are some of us out there who have no chance of beating this illness, and it does have control over our well being and our quality of life. not being picky, just asking that you don't categorise all lupus sufferers in the same basket.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
just remember, there are some of us out there who have no chance of beating this illness
I suspect that the therapist was meaning this is a figurative rather than a literal sense, and that it is more about mentally taking control of our lives rather than necessarily being able to do that on a physical level.

But sometimes, when lupus is getting us down and is very severe, this can be very hard to do, and nobody should give themselves a hard time if they are in a phase when this is difficult to do.

PErsonally I don't give a toss whether I call it 'my lupus' or just 'lupus' - I think I do both - usually I think I call it 'my' when I am emphasising the unique disease that it is (eg we are all affected so differently, my lupus may do something that yours doesn't etc etc) but whatever rocks your boat.

If this is something that is helping you, I am so pleased to hear it !

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
225 Posts
well put raglet, i should have thought of it that way.
to be honest i think i refer to it as "the stupid lupus" more than anything else :D

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
stupid lupus - and various other names that I think would likely get me booted off this board hahaha

hugs

raglet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts