The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm not really sure whether this is useful or if I should be writing this. Everyone's personal experience can be so different!

I think it is very easy in a somewhat sun obsessed society to sometimes be a little less cautious with the sun. Now, I don't mean to be scaring people and I know some of you don't react as much as others but I just thought I'd give you my experience.

I am now 36. I have been ill for around 10 years but only diagnosed a year and a half ago. As a child I never ever tanned (red head's skin) but kind of went healthy pink. I never covered up more than any other kids but certainly never ever went sun bathing.

By the time I was 19, I knew I was pretty sun sensitive but hey, I worked outside (horses) and other than never exposing myself was OK. One day I went swimming in a lake, got out and sat LITERALLY 5 minutes without a T shirt on. Now when I say 5 minutes I am not playing this down, it really was 5 minutes. Later that day my ex husband had to take me to the docs, emergency case.

I couldn't believe my ears when he said to me "2nd degree burns"! As you can imagine it was somewhat painful. It resulted in 3 days shut in my room entirely naked on my top half as I couldn't put any clothes on. I needed burns spray with cortisone, another type (can't remember) and antibiotics.

Since then I have always been very very careful in the sun. I also now realise that it does have a very real effect on how I feel.

As I say, not wanting people to panic but please please be careful.

Katharine

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks for the warning Katherine. 2nd degree burns... ouch that really must have been painful, am glad you got it sorted though.

I too used to go "healthy" pink, to lobster red very easily, I never tanned. Now though I don't go anywhere without my bottle of sunscreen!

Claire

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm of South Asian decent, so for so long I thought "nah. I'm Indian. I CAN'T get a sun tan. And I definitely DO NOT need sun tan lotion".

But then over the last few months people were noticing a "redness" to my cheeks and took the p1ss somewhat thinking I was burning in the sun. Especially when I went skiing back in March.

Oh how stupid I feel now. And oh how I am so scared of the sun. Was just watching the weather forecast am thought how much a week ago I would have been please with a forecast of SUN and 28oc :(

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha Surferboy :) when I was saying "please don't panic", I kind of had you in mind - thought you might be along.

There's no need to become paranoid but yep, even darker skinned people need to be careful.

As to the question in your other post, I'd try just putting sunscreen on the bits that stick out and maybe paying attention to the quality of the T shirts you wear. The thicker weave or knit (hope you're following) ones offer far higher protection.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Clearly... this experience is the exception though rather than the rule (in terms of a severe burn from 5 minutes in the sun!). I think common sense measures to protect from the sun is probably bound to be a good thing - such as avoid sun during peak hours (10-3), wear sunscreen if out during even semi-peak hours, etc.

We also need to remember that some/minimal sun is a good thing, even 10 minutes of exposure total a day without protection (preferably during non-peak hours) is apparently the amount we need to manufacture enough vitamin D. Completely avoiding sun exposure can lead to low vitamin D levels (unless you take a vitamin D supplement) which can also lead to other future problems.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Just want to say,

Dark, medium, yellow, black, cream, white, pink - whatever skin colour we think we all have - please wear high favtor suncream

Love Lesley

·
Registered
646 Posts
LOL Katherine. Thankfully this time I didn't panic :) I was just thinking back at all the times I used to shoot my mouth off about not being able to burn in the sun... and it did happen a couple of times :rolleyes:

On a serious note though... do we only have to worry about the "summer sun"? Or is the "Autumn, Winter & Spring Sun" just as bad?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Lupus is three times more common in Asians than in Caucasians. There is evidence that some people are sensitive to UVA as well as UVB. UVA comes through at the same rate whatever the season, temperature or weather.
Those of us who are photosensitive use a broad spectrum sun screen all the time. In the UK, UVA is rated by stars. 1-5. You can get sunscreens on the NHS when a consultant has recommended them.

I use SunSense which is very wearable and invisible. It is Australian so I am confident in it although it doesn't have the UVA star rating. Avoidance and protection are paramount.

Take care
:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Clare, like you I have been using the Austrailian 'Sunsense' prescribed by dermatologist - i've not burnt yet!

Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I'm glad you like it too Lesley I must say I have never done any sort of test such as using it on one side of my face and not the other because I don't go out all that much anyway.

I forgot to mention that the effects of sun exposure might not be immediate.

http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/photosensitivity.html

:)

Clare

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Ha Clare, that would be interesting!

I must say, altough I dont get sunburn, I do still get sunrashes!!!! plus the last few days my temperature has risen also - I suspect due to sun/heat, today it has gone down 1F but its cooler.!

Hey ho though - i'm still coping

Lesley

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey all yeh I know the suns been a killer, even though ive been working outside the past week & a bit ive been wearing factor 50 & somehow still managed to go rly brown! I know i prob shouldnt ave been out in the sun but when you have garden chores to do & only a week to do it in its kinda hard, however I dont know if it is because of the sun or not but I have started gettin really bad joint & muscle ache & none of the wrk I was doing was labour intensive (im a guy i hire machines in for tht lol)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Parksy

The joint and muscle aches would be a typical reaction to sun exposure. Although I wouldn't know for sure if that's your case, it's reasonable for anybody with lupus to be cautious. Photosensitivity can develop, as can skin lupus. I also read in a usually reliable place that it can wax and wane.
It changes the DNA of the cells and causes an even greater autoimmune response. It has been shown that invisible signs of sun damage can occur such as increased protein in urine. A tan means that the skin has been damaged. A tan represents the skin's, read body's, attempt to protect itself from trauma.
Using sun screen comes after avoidance and protection measures. It is rarely used in sufficient quantities and usually not reapplied often enough

Take care
Clare

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I really noticed on my recent trip to Canada that they are a LOT more laid back about sun exposure than we are in New Zealand. I guess it is the lack of a hole in the ozone layer like we have down under, but here we are heavily into the old slip, slap, slop and wrap. Actually the sun message hit when my daughter was 1 year old, which makes it 20 years of full on education about sun sense. I always remember that her first year I did nothing about sun block, then suddenly it was all on and she never went out the door without her sun block.

just my musings on my latest ramblings - we have hideous skin cancer rates and I have already had some removed. It's pretty much a rite of passage once you hit your mid 40s where I live.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I never meant to spark such debate :lol: and, of course, as Maia quite rightly said, my experience was very extreme!! (rather like me I suppose :rotfl:)

Anyway, I'm glad it has sparked debate as we do see so many people not really realising just how dangerous the sun can be (not just here of course).

Katharine

·
Registered
642 Posts
greenhaggis;515878 said:
Just want to say,

Dark, medium, yellow, black, cream, white, pink - whatever skin colour we think we all have - please wear high favtor suncream

Love Lesley
Ha Ha:rotfl:
I'm cappachino coloured (mixed race) and I agree.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very interesting thread Katherine,
Made me think. I dont think Im sun sensitive but then Ive often got joint pain and inflammation so maybe I could be and havnt realised.
Another thought provoking thing is when I was a teenager we used to have a UV strip light in our front room. Eeeek shock horror eh. Not sure if that would cause the same thing in people who were sun sensitive.
I used to gets lots of flu like symptoms when I was a teenager for no apparent reason. Makes you wonder.
The plot thickens I think as to how we develop this disease and how it progresses.
Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Exposure to UV light or Lupus. You and lots of others spent lots of time outside. What I mean is are we only sensitive as we have Lupus or could over exposure cause Lupus?
Very thought provoking!
Sal x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ooh now Sally that is a whole other question...in my case the mother came before the daughter, the grandmother before the mother, the great grandmother before the grandmother...

Also, maybe that sun thing...but I was OK for about 6 years after...

Seemed to have been triggered by pregnancy...

Then again, like many I had a pretty "traumatic" childhood in some ways - don't mean to make that seem dramatic, I don't feel any worse off than anyone else and wouldn't change a thing.

Could also have been severely allergic to my ex husband!

If I had to put money on it, I'd pick the last :rotfl:

Anyway, back to the sun, let's not be sidetracked :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Which came first.....

Very interesting post. I am very sun sensitive but when I was a child I tanned quite easily (I am fair skinned with hazel/blue eyes) and didn't burn until I hit puberty, then for some reason became very sensitive to the sun and always burned, rarely tanned. Had some symptoms that might be autoimmune but I never saw a doctor about them so nothing diagnosed until I was in my early 40's and I decided to try a tanning bed very slowly to see if I would tan that way...that is when all the skin rashes started, joint pain and swelling worsened, fatigue was terrible, and eventually I went to doctor for help and tested positive for ANA, antibodies, sed rate etc... and the rest is history. So I truely believe the UV light from the tanning bed triggered all the autoimmune stuff for me. I am super careful now.

Nancy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts