The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my derm who diagnosed me with discoid lupus from a biopsy called with my bloodwork results. She said that the ANA was barely positive and and anti doublestranded DNA antibody test was also barely positive. Everything else was totally normal. Does this mean it is or is not systemic?? I have looked at what the ANA test is and I understand that one, but I don't understand really what the other test is or what it means.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A barely positive ANA needs to be interpreted in light of symptoms (as does a barely positive DsDNA). Ideally, you will go to a rheumatologist next & go over your medical history, family history, and current symptoms to determine if anything more must be done with your treatment and ongoing monitoring to get you feeling better and keep you healthy in the long term.

Even if they are very low positive levels, they can be significant in terms of diagnosis given other symptoms and any other blood test/urine test results. There may be additional tests a rheumatologist may want to run too - so I think that should be your next step is to be referred to a rheumatologist to go over all these things.

The ANA is not specific to lupus, and about 25-33% of the healthy population can test positive for ANA at very low levels. DsDNA is a bit more specific for lupus.

Good luck and I hope you get that rheumatologist appointment soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts