The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)
Im not actually diagnosed with Lupus, but have Chronic Fatigue syndrome, however i feel a lot of my symptoms are very similar to Lupus :worried: and even though my tests came back negative for lupus i still feel something autoimmune is causing my symptoms, the docs just dont know what yet! :rolleyes:
Anyway I have been wondering lately and Sorry if this is a stupid question :blush: but...
Do any of you guys who are diagnosed with lupus feel your lupus symptoms are better when you get a virus/infection?, the reason i ask this is because from my limited knowledge of lupus, lupus causes an overactive immune system, therefore if your immune system has a virus to work on would this cause it to have something to fight against. I have found that when i get a cold, i get all the cold symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat etc but my Chronic fatigue symptoms calm down, I was just wondering if this was the same for lupus sufferers? Sorry if this question is stupid, and doesnt make sense!:blush: Its just been playing on my mind for a while and well i thought id ask :) Thanks for reading
Bex x x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Bex,

I have SLE and so far I have noticed when I get a virus I flare more!

Obviously I can't answer for all those other Lupies out there!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Bex,

For me I rarely get colds or flu because of my overactive immune system. If I do come into contact with them, I may have a few symptoms of it for a couple of hours or even a day, then I go straight into an increase of Lupus activity. Makes sense to me as my body goes into overdrive at the mere hint of any invader :hehe:

love
Lily

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've found that the worse the cold/illness is the worse I feel. I've actually had a flare hit a day after being dx with pneumonia.

A friend of my husbands worked as a drug rep and got his wife to go see their doctor when she was feeling really bad. It was quite odd that she would feel better when she was sick. She was dx with fibromyalgia and takes MTX. She finds that taking the MTX during a cold makes her feel amazing because her body has something to fight against (instead of herself).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI,

I'd have to agree with the others who said getting a bug makes the lupus symptoms worse - at least that is how it is for me. I also tend to get sicker than hubby (who doesn't have lupus of course) and it takes longer to get over a bug.

X C X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts