The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am staring a flare. I have been working non stop since December 22nd. One day off here and there...but not enough to actually rest up. I moved back home this summer to save for med school in the fall. My folks are leaving for florida soon, so it sort of helps them out too... I look after their home and affairs until they get back in mid May...then, they are off to their cottage for the summer.

Anyway, days off for me these days are doing errands for my folks. So, really no breaks. I knew I was going to pay for it one way or the other....

For the past two weeks, I have several sores in my nose. I thought they would just go away, but they aren't. What I wanted to know is if anyone ever had sores in their ears! I have a huge one. My father looked at it with a flashlight :)lol: ). Something was hurting, and it is too far in for it to be something I did. My father said it looked like a scab the size of the tip of a Q-Tip, and all around it is a ring of redness and inflamation. I was just wondering if anyone had this before. I hate to go to my GP with this little thing... but I don't know. If I didn't have a few sores in my nose.... I am so scared a huge flare is comming. Last time I couldn't even dress myself.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Willow, im sorry your getting sores , i have had them in my ears yes, my nose only the odd ones,
but i think if you are getting worried then wouldnt you be better hun, just having a word with the doc? i think it would put your mind at rest.

do you feel as if you have a flare comming more to the point?? if your answer is yes than i think youve got your anwser,

Sorry im not much help hun Good luck with the med shcool

Lin xx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Willow
Maybe I remember wrongly but I think you haven't yet been diagnosed ?
These nasal and ear sores could well be highly significant for diagnosis.
I know you have important aspirations and plans as well as lots to do but there is always lots to do and it is very easy to find even more and use them as a way of putting off unpleasant but essential needs.
I myself have brought procrastination to an art form.

I suggest you need to consider seriously at what point you are going to take charge of your health. If there doesn't seem to be an ideal time then make one as a priority.
If you are diagnosed or as good as, you are right in thinking this could signal worsening disease and a flare. Without having a check up there is no way of telling how serious the flare is. Maybe your kidneys are starting to be involved.
Even if you were perfectly healthy, mouth and ear sores are not normal and no half way decent GP would dismiss your concerns. They are not little unimportant things until you know for sure that they really are nothing to be seriously worried about and will easily respond to suitable treatment.
This is a bit of a lecture I know but I have been reading your posts feeling increasingly concerned about your welfare. I'd just hate for you to collapse and find yourself very seriously ill - and it can happen like that.

All the best

Clare

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claire, you are right. I read your post and I called my GP, and I have a time to see him tomorrow after work. :) I am not offically diagnosed as of yet, but my GP told me last month that the rhumy I just saw suggests strongly that it looks more like Lupus than RA. We will have to see how everything goes. I think from now on, any new things that happen, I will tell my GP. Who knows, maybe it might help in what is wrong with me. What doesn't make any sense to me, might to him! Also, I going to tell him that last week at my eye exam, the doctor there diagnosed me with severely dry eyes. I don't know if that all fits in, but who knows!

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Willow

Yes indeed make sure you tell him about your severe dry eyes. It could be indicative of Sjogrens Disease - another autoimmune disease. There are additional tests that can be carried out to determine it but it is definitely something you should have investigated. Did your eye doctor not prescribe something to lubricate the eyes? I have dry eyes and use a gel three times a day to keep them moist. It annoys the heck out of me but it sure does help. If I dont use it then my eyes get very scratchy and sore. Here is a link which explains Sjogrens

http://www.sjogrens.org/

Keep a diary of all of these symptoms Willow. You would be amazed at the things that are actually 'connected'. Remember an autoimmune disorder can affect any part of the body system.

Best of luck with your GP

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi, Willow,

It does sound sjogerns Disease! Can't remember what tests are required to diagnose though - perhaps someone else can answer that! I use artificial tears when I can during the day plus a more oily cream for the night! I have also had silicone implants (not for the boobs!!!) inserted into my tear ducts which help so much (they cut down the times I had to use the day time drops, especially in Summer when warm weather dries the eyes even more). If you do have dry eyes Sjogerns or not they should still receive treatment of eye drops! Leaving them dry could lead to even more serious problems.

Take care with your flare and try to rest!

Lesley

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Willow, I just wanted to say that I am so very happy that you are going to the dr.'s. Sores in your ears are serious, and when I read the first of your post, I was worried. You also mentioned that you are worried that you are going to have another big flare, hon, that "is" stress, and will only make things worse. Please re-think things, you are going in too many different directions, and it will only mean pain for you. Take care of yourself, please,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts