The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
my doc talked me about a kidney biopsy. she said that it is necessary in order to establish the involvement of the kidneys ( in my latest tests red cells and proteinuria increased). Could you tell me something more? What could be the results?
thank you so much

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a kidney biopsy a few years ago, I was worried about the actual procedure, but it really didn't hurt. They lay you on your stomach & put everything they are doing on a monitor & me being the way I am tried to watch what they were doing. They just went in with a needle & took little pices of the kidney to do testing. If they suspect kidney involvement then it is a good ideea to do that biopsy just to see how much it has affected them. In my case it was pretty bad and I had to go through 6 months of chemo, but that was before the cellcept was available. I think now they can put you on that and it will help so you might not have to do the chemo. I think it just depends on the stage you are in. I don't know a whole lot more about it, but thought I'd tell you my experience with it. I'm sure someone else on here will tell you more about it soon. Good luck, I hope everything works out good for you!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
hello enrico
You need to ask her exactly what the procedure will involve in Italy or in her practice. Although it is basically the same everywhere there could be differences such as, are you expected to stay in hospital overnight, the latest time to eat and all that sort of detail.
They can tell how much the kidney is involved and what's causing the damage.
I wonder why she doesn't start you already on Imuran or even Cell cept

Best of luck to you

Clare

·
Sylvia
1 Posts
I'm not sure if I will need a kidney biopsy done however I'm very glad to read that you found it to be a painless procedure. I had the idea that it was quite
uncomfortable. What is used to control discomfort during the procedure.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Enrico,

I know nothing about the procedure. I wanted to stop off, to wish you well. I hope everything turns out very well for you.

Sandy

·
=)
31 Posts
hiya :wavesmile:

i had a kidney biopsy 7 months ago now, i was terrified about it! :eek: but its really not that bad at all, and its all over within 15 minutes!! well mine was anyway!

if kidney involvement is suspected then it is wise to have the biposy, obviously its not a pleasent experience but it is worth it in the long run! when they did my biopsy, i was told i had class 4/5 lupus nephritis, an aggressive form of it too. i was then put on cellcept and ive been fine since, not even once flare up!! :hehe:

so they would try you on that before trying the chemo!..hope this gives you abit more advice!

message me anytime if you need more advice or anything, take care!!

claire xx :flowery:

:pixiedust:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Enrico,:) I am so sorry about your having this procedure and possible kidney involvement.
I lucked out and did not have this procedure. My blood work and 24 hr urines got better after I recieved IV meds and steroid treatment. i am afraid I may be heading down this path-so do they give you something to ease the discomfort and to help lay still????
Let us know what you find out,okay??

Hang in there,
Becca

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi All,
don't know anything about this procedure but just wanted to say sorry to all you guys who had this type of organ involvement.
Hope thngs go well for you all in the future!!

Cassie

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Here's one account of the procedure. A google will show many others. There is no reason why you should not ask and expect to get full details of any procedure you are going to have. It should be routine to explain to patients what to expect. Nobody wants unnecessarily worried patients. Ignorance is rarely bliss
Practice might vary a bit depending on where you are.

http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/kidney-disease/biopsy.html

Cheers
Clare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts