The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am Tonya, I was diagnosed with SLE in Jan. 2009. I have had 2 kidney infections in the last 6 mos. I think I may have another one now. I am going to the Dr. in an hour. Is it common for SLE patients to get reoccurent kidney/bladder infections?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Tonya,

I do not have kidney involvement with my Lupus however I often spill large amounts of blood into my urine that go along with what I call a UTI infection. I will have pressure and be running to the bathroom often only to realize I do not have to go at all. I do not have any clear cut reasons as to why this is happening so needless to say I get frustrated.

I am sure others with kidney involvement will be along to share with you. I have heard that kidney and UTI infections can be common with Lupus however it does not mean that it is for certain due to the Lupus.

Something you may want to have addressed by your doctor.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i seem to get them alot too. people with SLE tend to get more infections over all than people without, due to immunosuppressant meds or just lupus makes you have low white cell counts and therefore be more susceptable to infections. Perhaps your gp could run a fbc and make sure you havent got low WBC's or anything.

Also ALWAYS go for a wee after sex, wipe front to back, keep well hydrated, try to avoid baths and only use soaps designed for down there down there!!

:love:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from the Urologist. He said I had a UTI and put me on Cipro. Because my history with kidney stones,he ordered a CT scan in the morning to make sure the stone I had 5 mos ago hasn't broke loose and causing trouble.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Good luck with that! Ouch!

I've had a history of stones, and had one kidney infection too but *never* had a UTI. Usually kidney infections arise from a bladder infection moving up there, but not in my case.

Can they not look for the stone on a simple x-ray? My urologist could identify some pretty small stone fragments on x-ray alone & I would recommend an x-ray over a CT scan (if that will do) to minimize exposure to radiation.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I feel badly for anyone that has to deal with kidney stones. I am fortunate and have never had them but my girlfriends suffers terribly with them.

She has to go through a procedure called lithrotripsy and it leaves her body black and blue.............just horrible. The pain is also horrendous.

Good luck moving ahead and let us know how the CT scan turns out.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
It is common to get all kinds of infections as they love us. I hope your doctor appointment went well and you start feeling well soon. I know that kidney infections can set you back a step or two.

Feel better soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have kidney involvement but have never had a kidney infection (*touch wood*). I don't believe it's a lupus manifestation but like the others have said, we are unfortunately prone to all types of ugly infections. Get well soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, My CT scan went well. I go back to the Dr. on Wednesday. I will post as soon as I go back. I am just having a lot of low pelvic pain. I did try my Mobic again today and it did good for my knee. I had taken it a couple times before but it made me very sick or so I thought. Turns out it may have been the plaquenil in the very beginning and not the Mobic.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It's good to know that we are in the boat together. I have had right lower back pain for 1 1/2 weeks and got to see the doctor yesterday. I have a kidney and bladder infection, and spilling protein and blood into my urine. First time for the kidneys involved and blood or protein. I'm also on cipro.

I hope you feel better quickly. The doctor I saw yesterday told me that chemo is accentuated by cipro so am holding off on doing my weekly chemo for this week. It can also increase sun sensitivity.
Sally

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Hi Tonya,

My daughter gets kidney stones also. She found cutting out spinach and cranberry juice helped. The few she has gotten since that time she has been able to pass without too much trouble, no hospital visits in 4 years.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hi Tonya, you not alone with the kidney infections, I have had two this year. Hope your scan goes well.

Sheila x :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts