TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what numbers for "DNA ANTIBODY TITER" shows when lupus is active? The value says 80 but it's been 40 or 20 other times.

Thanks,
Melissa

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Melissa,

I'm not sure because I have always been negative on that. Is there a 'normal range' stated on the test result? My lab shows that (but it's no use comparing for you because we use a different scale here I think).

love
Lily

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there Cinnia

As far as Im aware the 'normal' range is zero, i.e. one wouldnt normally expect to have these antibodies. I have these antibodies and they fluctuate up and down a bit - the highest being over 200 and the lowest being 22. They used to be associated with disease activity, i.e. the higher they were the more likely disease activity was present but that seems to be changing a bit now as more and more they arent being used as a reliable marker for disease activity.

Hope this helps
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
64 Posts
HI everyone,

I am waiting to be accepted onto a drug trial and they are repeatedly testing my ANA levels. Normal depends on the lab doing the tests, but I have been told that 1:80 can still be considered normal. The titers jump in those multiples. 1:20, 1:40, 1:80: 1:160, 1:320, 1:640, 1:1280 and so on. I am told by my rheumy that a positive is considered a clear indicator of disease activity (a flare). However, it doesn't mean you have to be positive to have a flare. Not everyone who hs lupus is positive. In my case, the drug trial people are just trying to get a control group.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Rose

I think the antibody Cinnia was talking about was the anti dsDNA antibody (anti Double Stranded DNA antibody) and not the ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibody).

Thats interesting that your rheumy correlates the ANA with disease activity. I havent heard that mentioned before although I do know that the higher the titre the more likely that something like Lupus is the culprit. How often will they be testing your ANA levels?

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts