The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently met with rheumatologist for first time said labs suggest auto immune but not any specific category. Body aches joint pain fatigue. My main question is my creatine kinase was a little elevated. I haven't been exercising because I feel so lousy but I am scheduled for a 5k tomorrow and a relay marathon in September. Just started on plaquenil. Wondering if I am going to make things worse by running?Forgot to ask during my appointment .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Only you can really answer that.

What i mean by that is we are all different. If i over do it, it causes me to flare and makes it worse. I know others on this forum that say the same.

All i can say is think about periods when you train, is the situation worse after?

·
3,294 Posts
I'm no athlete but had managed to run a couple of 5K's before my diagnosis. Shortly before I was diagnosed I went for a run (and by run I mean fast walk!) and I hadn't got too far before I felt I was running through treacle. I went to work and felt so lousy I was in tears with the pain and thought I'd got flu; turns out I'd flared and was shortly started on meds etc. I know now that I can't do anything very physical without it pushing me too far; I also know that most doctor say that gentle exercise is helpful to people with Lupus but it certainly only helps me to feel awful! I'd be wary of pushing yourself if your symptoms are not yet controlled but like Mark says it's difficult to speak for someone else as we're all different.
Not sure that's really helped, sorry!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts