The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that eight years of steroids is finally catching up with me (well, with my stomach anyway). My gp has given me lansoprazole to sort out evil pred-induced indigestion, and I was wondering if any of you had taken it? It says to take before food, but doesn't say how long before, and I'm sure I've read somewhere that you shouldn't take indigestion tablets at the same time as plaq - am I making that up? It could make the timing interesting if it's true...

Thanks for any input - I need to stop my stomach trying to eat itself :lol:

:hehe:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Fairy

I have been on Lansoprazole since January 2006 (brand Zoton FasTabs). At the time, I checked interactions with Plaquenil and my other meds on the Drugs Digest site and there werent any. So I take them at the same time each morning. I havent had any problems taking them this way.

I always take the Zoton first in the morning (not sure why!) because I immediately take all my other tablets (pred (until recently), Plaquenil, Eltroxin, Coversyl, Istin, Celebrex and Cardicor. After that I usually take some breakfast.

Hope this helps. I love your description of 'evil pred-induced indigestion':hehe: If I dont take my Zoton (and I've tried a handful of times) I get terrible acid reflux which is very painful.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Fairy,

I use something similar to this and leaflet and pharmacy advise 1-2 hours before or after any other meds as it prevents absorbtion of those very vital ones. Same is true of those other indegestion remedies and relfux preventors.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I took it this morning, so fingers crossed it works - I want to be able to eat bread and pasta again! Mmmmmm carbohydrates.... :lol:
:hehe:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Fairy,

According to Drug Digest:

How should I use this medicine? (Back to top)
Take this medicine by mouth. Swallow the capsules whole with a drink of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not crush or chew. This medicine works best if taken on an empty stomach 30 to 60 minutes before food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take more often than directed.
Hope this helps :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I was just interested by your bread/pasta comment. I suffered from terrible heartburn when first put on pred and was given omeprazole. I took it before meals, I think 1/2 to 1 hour before (as per instructions on leaflet).

However, it is not reimbursed here unless you have something show up on an endoscopy so we decided to look at diet instead and I have found that I have to be very careful with my bread intake - it still gives me terrible heartburn (mainly when flaring -I seem to have light gastroparesis which gets worse at the same time). I also watch pizza crusts - don't eat pizza any more and "dry" foods like some chips etc. Just doesn't seem to go down (or rather through...).

I also cut out things like coke and caffeine (only in tea, I don't drink coffee). I can now drink the odd glass of coke but don't really like it any more and also can drink normal tea rather than decaf.

Thankfully I have no problem with pasta :)

Katharine

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last time I had pasta was a couple of months ago, and I was up all night because I was almost vomiting acid. It was lovely...:lol: Bread isn't quite so bad, but it definately has a significant effect - pretty much anything with lots of carbs in seems to make my stomach angry at the moment. I don't drink much caffeine anyway because it makes me jittery, so I usually just have a cup of tea when I get up.

The doctor said I'd have to have an endoscopy if the lansoprazole doesn't sort the problem out, but fingers crossed it will. I'm pretty sure it's the pred causing it anyway - I usually get heartburn/indigestion (is there actually any difference?) on higher doses, it's just this time it hasn't settled as the dose has dropped. I don't think the low dose of pred (10mg) is going to last much longer either, so this needs to work :hehe:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I am also on lansoprazole have been for many years. Have had no problem with it. I also take it each morning along with my Plaq. Hope it works for you

Sheila x :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi Fairy

I also Take lansoprazole, and I was a little confused too as there are 2 medications that say do not take with indigestion remedies so I checked with the pharmacist and he said that normal indigestion such as gaviscon can affect the coating on the tabs. Lansoprazole works differently so is ok to take at the same time as hydroxychloroquin. Hope that is helpful

Claire

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I like this drug - I can eat and everything.... :lol: Think I'll give it a few more days before I try pasta, but its all good so far.

Now I just need to sort out the rest of me :hehe:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.