The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I have SLE, am on medrol, cellcept, plaquinil, actonel...
I have been having some pains in my ovaries for 8 months or so. When I mentioned to my obgyn, she suggested an ultrasound and a blood test (CA125), which can be an indicator for ovarian cancer (among other things)
Turns out my ovaries (both of them) are enlarged, and my CA125 is abnormal, and after two more tests, each time it increaed....

It increased enough, that now the doctor wants to do a laproscopy. I'm scheduled for this friday, and am quite nervous. I haven't had any sort of surgery before, other than having my wisdom teeth out.

Does having surgery like this increase the chance of flare up?

Has anyone had a laproscope, and what was it like afterwards?

I guess if she finds anything terribley abnormal, it may turn into more than just a "look around", and perhaps have to do more...like take stuff out? :worried:

I'm 31 and still hoping to have children, but it seems less and less likely.:(

To top it all off, i'm two weeks away from finishing my first semester back in school, and one of my dogs is really old and failing fast. why does it all have to come at once???? argh!

thanks for listening...
mandy

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Mandy,

I had a laproscopy of my ovaries because one of them looked enlarged. It ended up I had endometriosis. The laproscopy wasnt too bad to recover from. I know I had an injection of Kenalog from my Rheumatologist shortly before the procedure. I am thinking I had 100mg of steroids with the anasthesia but I could be wrong as I ended up having a hysterectomy a month later. I know I didn't have a bad flare from the laproscopy it was extremely mild if I had one.

Anytime we are given anasthesia and our bodies are cut into there is always a risk of a flare. A Laproscopy is minor surgery so you have a good chance of coming out just fine. I imagine you will be able to finish your school work. Just don't plan on doing anything the first couple of days afterwards. You will need a driver to bring you home after the procedure if they do it as day surgery in your country.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Karen.
I meet with the doctor today, so I know I'll get a lot of my questions answered...But sometimes hearing from others who have been through something is helpful. I really appreciate it. THnak you for the encouragement. I guess at this point I'm just worried I'm going to wake up and they will have taken everything out because they found something horrible (cancer). But then, I know I can't think like that...it doesn't help my stress level. My husband will be with me when I have the surgery, so I'll have a ride. and I'm having it done on Friday so I'll have the weekend to recover (hopefully!)
Again, thank you for writing back!

Mandy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My first ever surgery was a D&C and a laporoscopy as well. They found some adhesions and cleaned them out but that was all. I really think the recovery went well but I admit I didn't have Lupus at the time - this was 7 years ago. I don't remember any problems with they surgery (my back kicked up real bad and that was what I remember) but I did do a lot of throwing up from the anesthesia. But once you've done that, from then all they can give you something and you don't do it again.

I was scarred stiff but it all went much easier than I expected.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi, Being an OC survivor, I can tell you its about as scarey as it can get!

I did not have "active" lupus at the time, actually I didn't even know about lupus at the time.

I had major surgery not Laproscopy, for me they left one ovary as it was not involved and I was only 34. I was unable to have children as a result, so they tied my tubes.

I have the CA-125 done every year, it almost always comes out abnormal, but they do sonograns and monitor my ovary size and so far its OK but non functional.

Could you ask them to harvest your eggs - if this is an option, so that no matter what happens you can find away to have a child?

I hope all turns out OK for you, you have my prayers and good thoughts.

If you want to talk about any of this, PM me anytime!

Good Luck and God bless - Stephanie

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
endometriosis

Thank you for your thoughts...The surgury went well, although it was delayed and I was at the hospital for almost 12 hours! The first thing I remember when I was waking up was my doctor saying, "it's not cancer! it's endometriosis." So I guess that's good.
Just wanted to give an update...now I'm just tired and soar and a little
nauseous.
mandy

·
Banned
808 Posts
(((Hugs)))

I hope that you are recovering well from your surgery, take things easy, and listen to what your body is telling you.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis from a laproscopy in January, I recovered quite well but with hindsight I think that surgery did kick my lupus about a bit. I remember very clearly being filled with absolute relief that it was not anything more sinister.

I hope that you can get a plan for treatment that will help you, and that you have good doctors, I have children so fertility isn't an issue for me, but understand that it must be for you, so even more important to have a good doc.

I wish you all the best, and hope that you recover well and quickly from the procedure.
xx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mandy,

I'm glad it wasn't what you were thinking it might be, that must be such a relief. Endometriosis is not a fun diagnosis to have and I hope you have a good Gyn experienced in it's management and that things go ok for you :hug:

Endometriosis can cause an elevation in CA-125 but I didnt want to mention that in case Endo wasnt your outcome. I'm so very pleased it's not cancer :thumbs:

love
Lily

·
Registered
468 Posts
So pleased it was not cancer, my sister had endometreosis and had a sort of lasering done through a laproscope and was still able to have children, two, but after healing. I hope you can get the best doctor who can help you maintain your fertility. Lots of hugs and hopes for a quick recovery.:grhug:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all! I'm healing slowly. I thought I'd be feeling better by today. I ended up skipping all my classes again today. but i figure better safe than sorry. I'm feeling a bit less nausous today, just really weak still.
thanks again for the good energy and thoughts.

mandy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts