The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a copy of my first round of blood tests today, found out the exact extent my 1st (former) rheumy lied (misled, what's the difference?) to me.
it's kind of funny, after hearing my story thus far, ALL of my other DRs (allergist, GP, psych, biofeedback neurologist, etc) have gone against hospital regulations and told me that I should go to a totally separate hospital to find another rheumy.

So, of course, I tried to research & learn as much as I could on my own but it's all greek to me so I was hoping for some help from you good folks. Yesterday I got 10 more vials of blood drawn & I'll get the results at the beginning of next month, and I'd really REALLY like to be more knowledgeable about the situation. This is a bit of what my bloodwork has shown so far, but I have no idea what it means;
-slight hyperchromasia
-ANA detected (titer @ 1:40)
-rheumatoid factor = 7
-RNP AB IGG= 1
-anti B2 glycoprotein 1 IGM= 1
-Lupus inhibitor= 1
-Smith, SSB AB, SSB SB= 0
so, what can I make of this? (of course I'm not looking for a diagnosis from y'all, I just need some guidance)
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks for your time

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello sweet tee :) I hope you have now got a doctor you feel more confidence in. Abnormal results are indicated by the lab and reference ranges can vary from lab to lab and also test method.

-slight hyperchromasia : I have never heard of this which suggests it has nothing to do with lupus.

-ANA detected (titer @ 1:40) : antinuclear antibodies. This is a screening test. Most people with lupus have these antibodies but it is not specific for lupus. Levels can be slightly raised in any number of diseases por even in healthy people. Below 1:160 isn't considered significant when there are few corrobating test results or unless there is very clear evidence of lupus in symptoms.

-rheumatoid factor = 7 : I dont know about the level. Some people with lupus and very similar diseases have RF. Its significance depends on symptoms. If RA is suspected a CCP test is more specific.

-RNP AB IGG= 1 : ribonuclear protein antibodies. Can be present in lupus and similar. High levels a diagnostic criterion for MCTD assuming MCTD type symptoms. I don't know how abnormal the result is.

-anti B2 glycoprotein 1 IGM= 1 this is a sort of antiphospholipid antibody of interest to gauge blood clotting risks or evaluate the cause of events caused by undue clotting. I think that it is used to see if abnormalities in other associated tests are due to autoimmune disease or infectious diseases that can also produce.
I dont know if the Ig type matters or if that result might mean anything.

-Lupus inhibitor= 1 : This is also known misleadingly as the Lupus anticoagulant (LAC). Its presence is detected by several clotting tests and it shows the presence of the antiphospholids referred to above. It got the name because these antibodies were first identified in people with lupus but in fact as many people without lupus have these antibodies as people with lupus.

Another sort of antiphospholipid antibody called anticardiolipin is usually tested for at the same time. Both tests need to be repeated at an interval of at least 6 weeks because either can be false negative. Levels can be raised from time to time for no particular reason

-Smith, SSB AB, SSB SB= 0 : Obviously negative but anyway anti Sm are specific for lupus altho only 20%-30% have them. SS-A is also known as anti-Ro and is quite often present in lupus, and significant towards diagnosis; a criterion for a Sjogren's diagnosis. Associated with a sort of skin lupus called subacute cutaneous high photosensitivity and neonatal lupus.

SS-B is also known as anti La. Rarely found without anti-Ro and diagnostic of Sjogren's.

A number of usual tests aren't mentioned : anti ds DNA and complement for example, as well as the anti cardiolipins.
The main site lists all the usual tests with explanations
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/tests.html

All the best
Clare

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I do know that a rheumatoid factor of 7 would be considered normal. It is only considered relevant over 19 or 20. In people with rheuamtoid arthritis it can be as high as 200!!!

Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.