TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
october 2007 I had severe arthritic pains, starting in my shoulders and moving to various joints. I went to the dr because I thought I had a torn rotator cuff. Long story short, I had EBV positive and Mono. My liver enzymes were up and he did testing for autoimmune hepatiits. My ANA was pos 1:640. My liver enzymes resolved without treatment but my PCP referred me to a rheumatologist. I saw him in Feb 2008 and he found my dsDNA was 241. This is elevated he said. He thought I had evolving lupus. My arthritis has resolved and I feel Fine in October 2008. I saw the rheum again is October 2008 and my ANA was negative and dsDNA was back to normal. Could my ANA and dsDNA been up because of the mono and EBV. My rheum doesn't think so and still wants to keep testing stuff. But I feel fine.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Both Ana and dsDNA can be found in other conditions. The combination of the two along with the moving joint pain is probably why the rheumatologist suspects something more is going on.

The following two sites might help you:

http://www.medicinenet.com/antinuclear_antibody/article.htm

https://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/se018400.htm

Studies have been done to find what role Epstein Barr virus has is Lupus. See the following article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/04/050416111754.htm

I see the rheumy wanting to test further as a positive sign. If you do start to have more problems in the future he/she will be on top of it.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Mono could have caused all your symptoms and the positive blood work as well. I don't think there is any harm in having occasional follow up by a doctor and some repeat blood tests, other than pocket book expenses. If you feel fine, and stay feeling fine, then I can certainly understand how you don't want to keep going back to a rheumatologist though. EBV infection is almost universal, and the vast majority will recover with no ongoing problems from it. I certainly hope you are in that vast majority - it sounds like you are. :)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello
If you feel fine and have no abnormal blood work I don't see why you should continue to see (and pay for) a rheumy consult. Presumably you can get the usual tests done at your GP's. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the obvious signs of lupus and if you start having any symptoms then ask to see a rheumy.
I think a reasonable doctor would think that was a reasonable plan and wouldn't hold it against you if by some bad luck you do need to see him again.

Best of luck
Clare

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Trspac,

This is just based on what happened to me, but I had two brief episodes of Lupus symptoms that didn't last long enough for a firm diagnosis (1998 and 2002). Then in 2006 they came on and haven't left me since. Received the diagnosis in APril 2007 and have been treated ever since. Just a heads up. I still pray for a remission like those 4 yr periods where I was completely symptom free.

Of course, keep your doctor up to date and know the symptoms as others have suggested so you can stay on top of things if they return. It might be a good idea to get a copy of your records if you stay feeling well and don't plan to return to the rheum right away.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts