TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My urine has been a bit cloudy, so over the past week I've tested my urine on three separate occasions and each time it has shown leucocytes (from + to +++) and protein (0.15 g/l to 0.3 g/l) but no nitrites. I don't have a temperature at all, and no other signs of urinary infection, except that it smells awful and ranges from a bit cloudy to fairly cloudy, or with white bits in it.

I'm really reluctant to go off to the doctor unless there are nitrites to show infection, as I've had five lots of antibiotics since October - two of which were "just in case of infection", and I don't want to keep taking them if there isn't infection.

BTW I don't have any sort of diagnosis at the moment, but am also being investigated also for neurological stuff as my symptoms cover a wide range. Basic lupus blood screening has been negative, though I do have a malar rash, livedo reticularis, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello cemc,

It is possible to have an infection without having Nitrates in the urine. Leukocytes are indicative of infection, they are whole white blood cells that are being spilled into the urine to try and fight the bacteria. Nitrates are simply peices from the white blood cells, some bacteria (called nitrate splitting) split the WBC leaving nitrates. When the infection is caused by a bacteria that doesn't do this nitrates will not be present in the sample. Protien in the urine can be caused by many things, including an infection. Foul smelling urine, cloudy, and presence of leukocytes is pathognomic for a UTI. If you are taking any medications like Cortisone, immunsuppressives, or anti-inflamitories (Asprin, Paracetamol etc.) these can cover up a fever, and possibly the "typical" burning sensations of a urinary infection. Antibiotics should not be prescribed haphazardly. Your urine should be cultured to see exactly what bacteria are present and a test for suseptablities should be preformed to determine what antibiotic is effective on those bacteria. You could take 20 different antibiotics over and over, but if you have "resistant" bacteria they will not help.

Please go to the doctor and let them have a closer look. If it is not an infection they still should investigate the "strange pee":wink2:

Good luck!

Monique

1 - 2 of 2 Posts