TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry I have been pretty absent for a while. Life is not being too great, so I have been in 'head down mode'. :worried:

I an hoping somebody might be able to help me with one of life's practicalities.

My husband and I have both been refused mortgage life assurance for a mortgage top up to cover an extension.

I was refused because of lupus.:sad:
He was refused becasue of high cholesterol (which is now within the 'normal' range. :eek:

Has anybody had similar experiences, and how did you manage it?

Hope you can help.

Take care all.

:love:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
:worried: Yes same here hubby got it...but me no

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Alwin

Im afraid I cant really help - just empathise. I was refused life assurance last year on a re-mortgage of my property. I had to sign a waiver to agree to the loan without the life cover. Its a risk but sometimes there are no other options.

Most mortgage companies will give you the loan anyway provided you have shown proof that you have tried to get the life cover but were refused. It was straight-forward enough for me as I dont have a partner living with me so if I kick the bucket the mortgage company wouldnt be making a spouse homeless by demanding repayment.

The question for you is can you take that risk? Its a tough one.

Hugs
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi alwin

sorry to hear things haven't been too good :sad: I hope you are ok.

I was also refused life insurance too after being told that whatever I die of they will relate it to the lupus & they can't cover that :mad:

I'm afraid I gave up trying alwin,we have it all in my husbands name & we took out extra insurance on him instead.
so I'm worth nothing & he is worth lots!!
:rolleyes: mmm interesting actually....he better keep in my good books :hehe: :lol:

good luck with finding a solution
take care..karen x

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry things haven't been too great for you Alwin - sending you hugz and lots of positive vibes. :hug: :fingers: :dust: :flowery:

This is an interesting topic as Hubby and I are planning to move house at some point this year. We don't need extra life cover but I have a feeling that I need to tell our insurers of my condition and his high blood pressure. I'm hoping it won't affect the policies in any way.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well

Looks like this is pretty standard treatment. I think we should try some other companies, but it is not looking good for my husband.

Since his cholestrol is now normal (without medication) is see no reason he should report that, but will check with doctor. As far as I'm concerned I guess there's nothing we can do.

Like other couples the best case scenario seems to be I get help if he dies, but he does not if I die. That makes me feel rubbish.

I was very naive and just assumed our insurance premiums would go up, not be refused.

I don't mean to be a so and so, but I feel like a bit of one right now. I mean, sometimes I do feel you get stung for working hard and sticking to the rules. You can look at the sweating and sacrifices you make to try to do right by your family only to descover you might as well have both gone on the dole for all the good it does you when you get older.

Thank you all for your (very prompt!) replies, and thank you for your best wishes too.

I am not ill. I am the best I have been since being diagnosed and have had 4 weeks without any anti-inflammatories or other pain killers. Still the migraines are a thing of the past. I have a rheumy appointment to discuss my last lot of 'lupus blood tests' which have all come back negative. The antiphospholipid result was described as 'low and probably normal'.

Just what this means is beyond me, so I have decided not to think about it and just sit tight and enjoy the current ride.

The recent difficulties are not related to my health, thank goodness.

Am a bit anxious about my diagnosis though. Am beginning to think I might have been misdiagnosed, which, in a way, would be great. However, the thought of being taken off the Plaquenil is a worry. I didn't feel well for many many years, so I associate feeling well right now with the Plaquenil. I think I have been on it for about 9-10 months.

Oh well, deep breath and PARK that thought, eh?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ok, deep breaths honey.

I can totally understand you questioning your diagnosis when you feel so well - I've been there too. You spend so long trying to get the diagnosis, you get the treatment, things start to improve so you question if the docs got it wrong in the first place. This is probably just a reaction to being turned down for insurance.

You were diagnosed in May last year with Hughes, mild Lupus and Sjorgens from the London Lupus Centre. They are the experts and you had a number of positive tests....some twice!

It does seem like you are now seeing the benefits from the Plaq, it was 9 months for me too and the difference was amazing. We all go through denial at some point for one reason or another - even a couple of the mods have mentioned it recently.

The one thing that stays with me is the posts of members who felt the same way and stopped the Plaq with disastrous results. If it ain't broken don't fix it. If you have no side effects of the Plaq why tempt fate.
I'm thinking of you Alwin and hope things improve all round. You're a great gal and I hate to see you feeling low. :foryou:

Lots'a'luv, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pam

Don't worry. I really, really, really don't want to stop the Plaquenil. I take it like clockwork.

Yes, regarding insurance, it would be very nice to be 'possibly diagnosed' Pam. You know - MIGHT have lupus, so here are the medications ... but not actually 100% diagnosed, so don't have to mention it on the insurance... :embarassed:

I know I can't do that. Would have a nervous breakdown if I tried it. Far too much of a catholic guilt thing going on for that type of behaviour. Don't know where it came from cos I'm only married to a catholic.

The side-effects of Plaquenil WERE pretty dramatic :rotfl: I thought I was in deep 'trouble' with the runs, etc. But they wore off fairly quickly. I don't get any side-effect what ever now - hence my concern about it being stopped (possibly).

Anyway, I thought this consultant was good when I saw her the first time, so I might be bothering unnecessarily. She has wirtten fairly promptly with my results which I have not experienced before. She might be able to explain the differing results to me, rather than teling me I've been misdiagnosed. I trusted the chap at St Thomases too.

Thanks for thinking of me. :foryou:
http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/images/smilies/foryou.gif

:love:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts