The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It suddenly occured to me I have no life insurance policy at age 37. I always felt I had all the time in the world to get it. Now with an SLE diagnosis, I am worried I may not be able to get it.

Has anyone had experiences with life insurance and lupus? I live in the US.

thanks,
Sharon

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The only kind you might be able to get is something like assurance life, where they ask no medical questions. I think you can get 10 or 20K not really sure.

If you are employed, you would be able to get a group plan from your employer if they offer, but it is only in force while you work there.

Hope this helps - Stephanie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Your best option is to get it through employment. I had mine through employment and when I went on disability the coverage remained in effect with the LTD company paying for it. You would be able to get higher values through employment... otherwise the amount would likely be just slightly more than the cost for final arrangements.

If you are unable to get life insurance and want to provide for loved ones after you're gone, I would advise putting that money away in a Roth IRA (I think you're in the States, right?). This money can then be used by you without being taxed when you are of retirement age. If you are unlucky enough to die before you can use it, then be sure to specify where that money goes in a will. Many financial advisors will be happy to meet with you for free one time to discuss your options. Even just putting away what the premiums for life insurance would be --- into a good savings account (there are options out there that will yield 4% or more) would likely leave a decent amount to give to loved ones after you're gone.

Good luck with it all - hope you can find an option that works for you.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am 37, and last month my husbands employer dropped me from their life insurance plan. I do not currently work outside the home, and had coverage through my husbands employer (as well as our children) for health, dental vision and life inurance for the past 8 yrs.. I and the children still have health,dental and vision, but no life insurance for me. It was part of their "cost cutting strategy". I am trying to find insurance, but it has been difficult. I think Maia's suggestion about an IRA is wonderful, and will be checking into it soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My doctor asked me if I had life insurance at our first appointment. I, then 37, said no and he suggested that I obtain it before my next appointment. He did not do any bloodwork or suggest anything like SLE written in my file, although he STRONGLY suspected it based on the files from my other doctor. I did get my insurance and thank God, because now, I would not be able to get it with a SLE diagnosis. It seems to me that the Life Insurance people need to update their classifications as, most people with SLE live happy full lives.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sharon,

Even before I was officially dx'd my doctor strongly suggested I obtain life insurance, after the insurance company did the medical background check, I was turned down because of all the stuff written in the paperwork.

It sounds like your doctor isn't going to write anything on paper yet (kudos to him) I think I would go for it so your family isn't left with the expense. It never hurts to at least try.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

I am currently on leave from my teaching job for mommy duties :) so I cant obtain any insurance through them. My husband has life insurance through his job for himself. He has suffered several problems since 9/11 so I'm not sure if he'd be able to obtain additional insurance either...HMMM we are some pair! LOL :)

Maia, your idea about a Roth IRA is an excellent one...and far better than paying term life insurance since at least there is an actual payoff instead of wasted premiums!

I know there are some insurance companies that do not require medical records, but I think you wind up paying a fortune for them.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Have a great day all,
Sharon

·
Registered
468 Posts
I tried to get life insurance and was turned down, now I think it is hopeless, it was even one of the companies that doesn't ask specific questions, just if you see a doctor regularly.....Shoot, I live in the US

1 - 8 of 8 Posts