TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed already, but I couldn't find anywhere a discussion about the government banning of filament lightbulbs in 2011?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7170246.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7172662.stm

I have photo-sensitive Lupus and I suffer even in shops with factor 60 and a hat! No way can I have these at home. Please lets see what we can do. This isn't a hoax, read the articles. I hope that Lupus UK will be able to help here please :) Thanks

Last Updated: Friday, 4 January 2008, 15:27 GMT

Low-energy bulbs 'worsen rashes'

Energy saving bulbs could reduce carbon dioxide emissions
The switch to energy-saving light bulbs may put thousands at risk of painful skin reactions, health charities warn.
Fluorescent bulbs can exacerbate skin rashes in people with photosensitive skin conditions, experts said.

The government is planning to prevent the sale of conventional bulbs by 2011 to cut carbon dioxide emissions.

Several groups including the British Association of Dermatologists called for exemptions to allow those affected to continue using traditional bulbs.

But representatives of the lighting industry said there would be alternatives to fluorescent lighting available.

Health conditions which can involve some form of light sensitivity, include the auto-immune disease lupus, the genetic disorder Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XP), certain forms of eczema and dermatitis, photosensitivity, and porphyria.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
We could start an E- petition if there isn't one already. I haven't had time to check. Then all interested parties should be alerted to its existence. Also write to our MP's.

I'll eat all my sunhats if LupusUK lifts a finger. Dipping them in melted After Eights first.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

:)

Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
We need to get something going for Belgium too! I'll have to check out where on earth one can do that here - it's not a great "protest" country :hehe:

apparently they're planning the same thing in Ireland, though I don't know when.

My question is, if we can continue using "ordinary" bulbs, will we still be able to find them in the shops? and at what cost?

Katharine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe they could be supplied on prescription?
It might seem like an odd thing to say, but I doubt they will stop preventing the sale of them to help 'the few' when the benefits for 'the many' will out way them. The enviroment is a big political football now too. So I would suggest petitioning to allow them for those who 'need' them in some way, rather than trying to stop the prevention of sale altogether. You might have better success that way?
Just my thoughts..... useful or not ;)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I quite agree 2cay2!
I'm sure they won't, and indeed shouldn't, stop the idea because of a few but there should still be some way for those who really need the regular bulbs - maybe, as you say, "on prescription"
I seem to actually be OK with eco bulbs (but need to test again), strip lighting gets to me but more because of headaches worsened by glare,

Katharine

·
Marika
349 Posts
I only caught the tail end of the BBC news tdy on the radio...but it has been brought to the attention of the Health Minister that these bulbs can cauase health problems for many people...and so if I#m not mistaken (have to listen again) a complete ban of non energy saving bulbs will not be allowed. Hope I got this right..it was tdy 5th Jan on the news.....

Marika

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently they have already phased out the 150w bulbs and then next year 100w goes and so on till 40 w. Thing is prescription would never work, I would need too many, home, office etc, I hope we can do something, it has made me so stressed reading all the do-gooders that don't understand why they affect us so much. :( I wanna cry and hide

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clare.T;492054 said:
We could start an E- petition if there isn't one already. I haven't had time to check. Then all interested parties should be alerted to its existence. Also write to our MP's.

I'll eat all my sunhats if LupusUK lifts a finger. Dipping them in melted After Eights first.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

:)

Clare
I looked there is one to postpone the ban until they have a version of the bulb that fits into dimmer switches, and one to boost and promote the ban , nothing against... yet.!

Would you like to start one for us please Clare from the forum, then we could all sign it, would that be ok? That way you have some standing and backing and promotion for the forum etc rather than me a nobody lol.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Katharine

Ireland was hoping to lead the way in this one. Here is a link to Greenpeace on the story

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/ireland-bans-bulb071206

However media coverage over the past few days suggests that perhaps we jumped the gun and there is more agreement needed before any phase-out can proceed.

Wolf, for my part I have emailed the Green Party here in Ireland (we have a coalition Government with The Greens being a member of it) drawing attention to people like myself and asking them if they had considered people with photo-sensitivity and what they would propose for them, etc. An email petition is certainly a good idea but it will do no harm to email your own MP (or the Prime Minister) letting them know about your worries and asking them what they propose to do about it.

If there is any response I will let you know.

Meanwhile I might just build me a shed and stock up! ;)

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
:lol: joan I was wondering what to do with my shed!..& there's always the loft too :)

seriously though It is very worrying :worried: I will definitely sign any petitions....not sure about writing letters though I struggle enough on here :lol: I am more of a talker...although I'm sure my 'clever' friends would help me out with any letters :)

karen x

·
Registered
336 Posts
A similar bill was passed and signed into law here in the US too. I think the phase out dates are 2010 and 2012. We need solid research on the effects of florescent light/ UV emissions from florescent light, on our health to support us. I did a PubMed search but didn't find much. I would sign a petition too. I would think a prescription would be a decent compromise, maybe it could cover work, home, classroom for the prescribed individual.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I also have a link from the daily mail newspaper here in Uk. Where it says that these light blubs can cause problems with people with Lupus :(

There have been growing concerns that low-energy light can trigger migraines, as well as dizziness, loss of focus and discomfort among those with epilepsy. There have also been complaints from sufferers of lupus - an auto-immune disease causing many symptoms including pain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...74&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Sheila xox

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
personally I am very pro these new light bulbs as they are much kinder on the environment, and we ALL need to be VERY proactive about reducing carbon emissions if we want our way of life to continue for our grandchildren and beyond.

I think that our efforts are better directed in finding ways that we can use these lightbulbs safely

ie: affordable shades/ fixtures that screen out the uv light

etc etc.

Just saying no to the bulbs is a big blow for our environment, and is one that I would not recommend. We should all be lobbying for finding ways of using these bulbs safely

eg: subsidized shades/fixtures for people who have sun sensitivity issues to screen out uv rays etc.

Personally I take the whole issue of reducing my carbon footprint very seriously, and I feel that changing the lightbulbs I use in my home is one way I can do this, so I just need to find a way of doing this safely.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by saying no altogether to this important way of addressing the greenhouse issue for future generations to come.

So, my challenge to those who want to continue with the old lightbulbs: how else will you make up for the extra carbon emissions that you create by keeping the old lightbulbs ? If you plan on reducing to a smaller size car or taking public transport more often, turing down the heating and putting on a jersey, then I totally applaud you. We ALL need to be thinking like this to protect our future.

regards

raglet

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well... we began buying the new bulbs when they first became available. We've tried to use them more than once. If they are in the ceiling fixture, things seem better. If I put them in a desk lamp, I start having sun-exposure types of problems. I also have these when in an area lit by halogen light bulbs.

We use 40 watt bulbs as much as possible. Most of the fixtures limit the wattage to 60 watts, anyway.

When I broke the light switch on our ceiling fan a few weeks ago, we took the time to replace the entire fixture since the old one was actually undersized for the room. Anyway, we went to Lowes and started picking out a fan. That was when we found that all the new fans, regardless of what the sample showed, used candleabra based bulbs. The employee didn't even know this. We had to go through the stock to find a fan that used standard bulbs. This one will not get the new bulbs because it is in the bedroom. My point, though, is that the new fixtures don't allow for the use of the more "green" bulbs.

I still don't think it is fair that all TV in the USA will be digital by 2/2009. We already have the digital TV problem solved, but there are many people who are going to need to adapt their TVs.

audi

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi again

I should have written " a petition could be started " because I am not starting one even on my own behalf.
By the way I have no status to do anything on behalf of the forum because it is privately owned by Joanne.
The forum is primarily for the support of people with lupus, and has never acted as a political or even awareness lobby as far as I know.

I do think it is important that in a democracy all aspects of proposed legislation to be considered so that the effects of changes are thought out as thoroughly as possible. I do my bit to influence polcies and the law makers and in this case I will write to my MP, just drawing attention to the likely serious effects of the change on light sensitive people and wondering if there's anyway possible to meet these special needs.

I'll also have a look at the other concerned support sites when I have time.

I would so much rather have a choice - apart from my physical health needs to reduce UV exposure, those lights corrupt my very carefully chosen delicate primrose wall colouring into a nasty weak mustard shade. We also have some newish and pleasing light fittings that we can't so far find low energy bulbs that fit. That is just a big nuisance but the change in wall colour affects my mental health, frivolous though it might sound. I need to see if we can find a more agreeable light tint. But funnily enough I have the strong impression that they add to the colour in my paintings though that makes no sense at all
There are so many wasteful ways other people persist in, that to my mind are quite unjustifiable. Maybe they simply aren't thinking or maybe they aren't prepared to make their personal sacrifices. We can only make very limited changes as it happens. For instance we don't have a car and we have no choice about our energy sources. It is very easy for me to criticize people who do have gaz guzzling unnecessary huge vehicles simply for status, just as those who are not light sensitive will not have much understanding for those who are. When we need a new fridge I will certainly seek an energy saving model but I'm not chucking out our present one. By that time they will probably all be energy saving.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble and risk getting political when all I meant to do is describe my own position on the lighting, which comes down to "sucking it up". Most of my life these days is "sucking it up" as it happens. What a lot of energy it uses up too ! I'd better reduce consumption. :rotfl: Getting silly now.

All praise to those who want to make a major effort - if successful, all us light sensitive ones will owe you big time !

Best wishes to all
Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I had a look at an article about the light bulbs problem on the US Xeroderma Pigmentosum Society website
It seems they are advocating that the low energy bulbs should be manufactured with filtering which would not distort the light and is minimal extra cost.
That seems to be to be an ideal solution and in the spirit of true democracy, which always involves bearing other people's costs in some way, to put it crudely. It is also highly compatible with policies of meeting special needs.

The XP article did mention other interested groups that need to avoid UV: SLE, cancer and plastic surgery cases, porphyria, polymorphous light eruption are those I recall

I didn't see a mention of a US joint petition. I have to check out the UK XP Society Newsletter and check out others if there are Porphyria etc websites.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Thats good information Clare:) Thanks for that. I do hope that a workable solution can be found as photosensitivity is very difficult to live with.

It seems very reasonable to me to suggest that filters should be supplied as standard - otherwise the phrase 'shes turning into an old bat' might have more substance than I think! :hehe:

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
you know, one thing I really do think about these light bulbs is that they are pretty ugly.

So I am hoping that means that it is only going to be a matter of time until people start coming up with better ways of hiding the things. Hopefully that will mean better protection for sun sensitive people as they start being screened from direct exposure from the light.

I am definitely not saying that I think that people who are sun sensitive should use these lightbulbs, rather i am saying that i think we should ALL be lobbying for ways of using them safely, rather than not using them at all.

I think that we are all going to have to make sacrifices in all directions to save our planet (if indeed it is possible to do so) - I look at the amount of cosmetics I slap on to my face and body (I love my moisturisers, body lotions etc) and think about the amount of greenhouse gases created in making these products, and remind myself that by purchasing them I am continuing demand for these products etc etc. I haven't quite got to the next step of stopping buying them - but it is something I am considering. Ditto all the unnecessary packaging etc etc. I have stopped using plastic carrier bags long ago, and use those green things you buy from the supermarket and use again and again.

Maybe down under we have been made a bit more aware by the huge hole in the ozone layer that has hovered over us for many years - and through which we all get burnt to a crisp if we stick our heads outside in the middle of the day. Pretty horrible stuff really

raglet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts