TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I have been recently been diagnosed w/lupus - which effects all of my joints. For the past two years my rheumy thought it was an undiagnosed case of RA - nothing was showing up in my blood.

I was doing so well on plaquinel, (I have been on it the past two years) and all of a sudden a flare up that wont go away unless I am on 20 mg of predisonne. I was going to exercise class and was down to 200 mg of plaquinel and boom - flare up - blood work - and now he is looking at putting me on either methatrexate or Imuran. I am afraid of the side effects of both, but we decided on Imuran.

He took more blood work yesterday to make sure I will be ok w/ the Imuran and they will take about a week.

I am still on the predisonne about 15 mg/day - still hurting though.

Has anyone been on either methatrexate or imuran - any bad side effects?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Linda and :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear that you have flared again recently. Sometimes plaquenil just isn't enough to control symptoms...maybe putting you down to 200mg wasn't the best of ideas.

I think imuran either suits people or doesn't. Some people seem to experience quite a lot of nausea in the beginning but that can be largely avoided by starting on a low dose and increasing very gradually.

I am one of the lucky ones who has had no nausea whatsoever from it (I get nauseous with nearly anything else) and no other side effects either. It has been a huge help in controlling my symptoms and getting my bloodwork under control.

For many people something like imuran will allow them to slowly come off steroids (that's why they are called "steroid sparing" meds) and that is, of course, far better if possible.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
59 Posts
I take both prednisone and imuran. The imuran has allowed the dr to lower the dose of prednisone. I do not have any side effects from the imuran at all. As long as I take it right after a meal I am ok. Hope it does well for you!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. I hope that you are finding all that you need to know about the lupus. I have not taken the imuran or the other medicine, so I will leave that to those here that know about it. I wanted to say hi and let you know we are all here for you if you need to chat. I hope that you feel better soon.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi there,

I will be starting methotrexate soon yet I have no personal experience with these drugs. Sounds like you will be ok as long as you take it after food.

I am sure if you have any side effects your Rheumy can help to get it straight.

I wish you luck starting the new meds and welcome to the forum.

So glad you found us here. Join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2:

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Linda,

I have been on methotrexate since Jan,2009. I haven't experience any side effects from taking it.
Last time I was at my rhumey he said it was working but not enough to write home about it. So he upped the dosage.

I thought it was working for me but now I am wondering once again. (joints hurting:() I see him tomorrow so will know what is the plan then.

Good luck with the imuran I hope it works good for you.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi,
I've been on methotrexate for 17 years. It has been the only drug which we had success controlling my lupus as I am toxic to higher dose prednisone. I've found that reactions depend on the level of inflammation in my body. The higher the inflammation, the more likely to have a reaction. It makes sense as it is to destroy rapidly dividing cells/inflam cells.

I've not had any experience with imuran, but know it is one of the chemo drugs used. I've had friends on it rangeing from good to not good to bad reactions to it. Once again, it is totally up to the individual body. Bear in mind, there are a few chemo drugs from which to choose. If you don't work well with one, you can try another. Keep close contact with your rheumatologist so any problem is noted and dealt with.
Sally

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for responding to my questions about Imuran. I am feeling pretty good today w/only 7mg of predisone, so far. If I start hurting tonight, I will take another 5mg. I have been off predisone so long and feeling well, then all of a sudden joint pain all over. I have been on plaquinel for about two years and was able to ween off the predisone. My dr even dropped me to 200 mg of plaquinel for awhile. I am now on 400 mg of plaqinel again, along w/the predisone.

I know predisone is not good long term and I want off of them. However, the thought of taking such a strong drug really scares me, but I guess I have no choice at this point.

I am still working and functioning normally and had a really good nites sleep last nite. It usually hurts to turn in bed and I find my morning shower helps somewhat. Any other advice would be so welcome.

Its nice to have you guys to talk to for advice and support - thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts