The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
when saw the rheumy on Monday he aswell as loys of other things pointed out that i have livedo reticularis.
I was diagnosed with MCTD, is this connected to any particular illness or can it be a lone condition.

I would appreciate any info on this?

Many Thanks

Take Care

Cassie :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Cassie,

Whilst some people with APS have livedo reticularis it is VERY common in Lupies. If your anti-cardiolipins and lupus anticoagulant are negative and you have also been tested for ANCA (types of Vasculitis) and they are ok then it's probably just part of the lupie skin problems so many of us get.

It's actually an inflammation of the tiny blood vessels that feed the skin and is of no consequence. It's classed as what they call a cutaneous (i.e. skin only) vasculitis. It is the types of vasculitis that affect veins and arteries that is of a more serious concern.

love
Lily
love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Cassie:)
I am glad you have got a diagnosis at long last and congratulations on making such an effort to get the ball rolling. I am glad you have such a caring GP too I think that is half the battle. A lot of healthy people suffer from LR especially when it's cold and it isn't regarded as a condition in the the sense that it needs treatment when it isn't associated with any any other disease because it doesn't cause any problems.
It can also be caused by blockages that can make the blood pool or run sluggishly such as the other ' sticky blood' conditions.
See
http://dermnetnz.org/vascular/livedo-vascularis.html

Remember that 'MCTD' is simply the name given to a particular set of symptoms with features of other CTD's, unlike for example measles and chickenpox which are quite separate diseases in their own right.
In fact there is some debate about whether 'MCTD' is a useful description/ diagnosis/ classification. It is handy to have names for various groups of patients who seem to share particular sets of symptoms. You will find you have many lupus type symptoms.
Many of us have features of another CTD along with our sort of lupus without having enough symptoms to get a diagnosis of that illness, depending on what antibodies we have and what sort of disease expression the antibodies take which is probably genetic in origin.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ladies,
I am jus abou o have he ANCA done and also he cryoglobulins, so will jus have o wai and see wha comes i.
So sorry bu i have a problem oday wih leer afer s. is no working, hink his is due me son jumping on me an nudging my cofee on o my key board. I ahev o use a plug in mouse oday as he has mucke dup he mousepad on he keyboard oo.
Aaaahhh, kids don' you jus love em. :rotfl:

hanks ladies.

ake Care

Cassie. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts