The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...;)....as i was asked to have another blood test by dr C from st thomases..we have to send results up to hospital..i did and the blood result for the liver ezymes are still high....:sad:...they have been high for nearly a year and nobody has mentioned it before.......soooo....they want a copy of the results sent up........then wat though?....has any of you lovely peeps go any ideas for me....thank goodness for this site :rolleyes:...just realised i joined 2 years ago next month and what a support youve all been...well anyway,were was i ....oh yes...any guesses as to what to expect now......being as nurse recconded that the liver wasnt affected by lupus....gp thinks it is?......thanks..jane:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Jane,

Lupus can affect the liver, however it is more likely that the liver enzymes are high due to Cirrhosis (fatty liver), this is caused by many medications, which the liver has to work at and break-down. As liver cells (heptocytes) become damaged the levels of liver enzymes in the blood rises. There are 3 main enzymes that are measured in a standard assay.

GPT (ALT) Alanine aminotransferase-predominatly found in the liver levels can rise extremely high (

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there....thanks for that...i am only on anti..deppressants......
AST 71 value..iu/L (35 u )
Its been up and down from this for a good 14 months...jane

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:......lol....thanks ....so why are they concerned about it?.....i see from different info that its not too high....jane

·
Registered
62 Posts
Obvisously nobody was concerned for the past 14 months! Why now? I don't know maybe they are just curious. Since it is the AST that is elevated (esppecially when the others are normal) then it could be something other than the liver. As AST is an enzyme found in other tissues (heart, lungs, muscle) AST is much less specific for liver damage. When they requested copies of lab results and wanted to see the "high" liver values, maybe they are expecting really high.

AST is also increased after heart attacks and with muscle injury, usually to a much greater degree than ALT.

Being overweight and simple genetics can also lead to increased liver enzymes.

LG
Monique

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm...i see what your saying....they have been up for sometime...gp has never really bothered...but the lupus clinic at st thomases is the one thats concerned about how long it been above average so to speak....and i had blood test there a month ago...which was up....and one this week also up?!!...
so i dont know what they are up to....:rolleyes:....but many thanks for explaining things to me.......i thought i was on my way out with liver disease....:eek:....imagining all sorts......jane

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

My liver enzymes were a bit over normal which is very common. Then I went on methotrxate. Enzymes jump to (ALT and AST) to almost 200. This is a side effect of metho. My rhummy thought no big deal about it. I went to see his Gastro intestinal doc just to passify him. This doc said to not to take the metho...which I had already stopped. Went to my Gastro doc and he said the same thing plus had to have a liver biopsy. I know take a drug to protect my liver because of the metho.

My rhummy was furious at what they other docs said and wanted me to stay on metho. Told him noway...I only have one liver. He was so ticked off that instead of seeing him once per month...he would not see me for 4 months unless something was really wrong. (Doc has the concept that he he knows everything about everyting).

My biopsy went fine, liver enzymes are now normal. The rhummy put me on oral cytoxin. Can't get infusion because white cells were always low.
Cytoxin is the strogest chemo (since I last checked) for lupus and can have serious side effects. So9 far I am fine.

Sometimes we have to speak up for our own. Yes it does require so investigation but it is our lives and not docs. My rhummy is voted to be one of top docs in area...but he was wrong. It is your own body...don't be afraid to confront a doc.

I would recommed seeing a gastro doc. Hopefully one that is familiar with lupus. They will be familiar with ANA. UI know this because I have Chron's (in remission) which is a autoimmune disorder.

There is so much info on this site plus out on the web.

Best of luck....rember you hired the doc....you can always fire the doc.

Elaine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts