The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i was wondering if anyone could explain to me what it means when your liver function test comes back elevated.
I had some bloods took a few months back a recently received a letter from the hospital explaining that they were elevated and the doctor doesn't think there is anything to worry about (which she as probably said to stop me panicking) but she wants me to have more bloods taken to see if it as improved.
I have mild sle, no organ involvement and raynaud's and i drink very little alcohol.
thanks

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are many possibilities for this... here is just a short list:
(1) fatty liver disease
(2) medication side effects (especially Methotrexate and even innocent little Tylenol/acetominophen)
(3) temporary glitch due to viral infection
(4) autoimmune involvement of some sort

It sounds like they weren't terribly high, or else they would have done more immediate testing/investigations. So that's the good news - I hope the next testing finds them back down to normal. You haven't been able to discuss this with your doctor yet?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Maia
No i havent had the chance to talk with my doctor yet thats why im a little confused and concerned because the letter said very little and i dont see her for ages, my next appointment at the hospital is just with the nurse not the doctor.

could the elevation be due to the lupus being active again?
ive not had no viral infections and im not on any medication other then plaqunel and oral contraception.

·
4,435 Posts
Hiya, my liver enzymes became raised when taking Celebrex (an anti inflammatory) since stopping that drug everything has reverted to normal despite enjoying wine etc... I think these tests can go up and down a bit during the course of the disease process and all the meds associated with it. Don't worry too much, I expect they will drop again at some point and they will be keeping an eye out.
Claire XX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts