The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Brenda
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm to start a very high dosage of steroids and take it for quite a while. I can't afford to gain weight. Anyone have any suggestions for healthy snacks?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Almond fruit bar

Hi Christianerc
hope this is what you want.

Almond Fruit Bars
Tuck into a deliciously healthy, anytime snack chock full of almonds, dried fruits and rolled oats.
Serving size: Serves 10 or more.
Serving time: Less than 30minutes

Ingredients
+ 3 cups of natural muesli
+ 1 cup flaked almonds, toasted
+ 1 cup dried fruit medley
+ 3/4 cup honey
+ 3/4 cup pineapple juice
+ 80g butter

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line a 20 x 30cm slice tin. Place honey, pineapple juice and butter in a small saucepan. Simmer for five minutes or until thick and syrupy. Combine muesli, almonds and dried fruit and pineapple syrup in a mixing bowl. Mix well and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes in a moderately slow oven or until lightly browned. Cut onto pieces while still warm, cool in pan.

Enjoy- a good snack

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Brenda,

I'm sorry to hear about the high dose steroids you have to go on... :( Is it oral or iv steroids you are to go on? Do you know what the steroid dose is going to be by the way?

Mary, those almond fruit bars sound lovely indeed!! I think I'll try making them too!! :hehe:

Some more suggestions for snacks might include carrot and cucumber pieces to munch on during the day as well as salads. Do remember to cut back on salt when on high dose pred as that increases water retention and weight gain; what may also help a little bit is eating 4-5 small meals a day, instead of one or two big ones...!

If you're a big fan of salt don't despair; there are a lot of substitutes in health stores and they taste pretty good! Another thing might be to cut back on fatty foods and simple carbohydrates and to replace them with complex carbohydrates; complex carbohydrates go through your system much more slowly than the simple kind, have more fiber and are generally more filling. Examples of simple carbohydrates are cakes, white bread and candy; examples of complex carbohydrates are whole wheat bread, potatoes and brown rice!

I hope you feel better very soon and that the steroids help loads :grouphug2: :grhug:

:foryou:

Zoi

·
Brenda
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marymackay that recipe looks fantastic! I will try it.

Zoi 40mg a day tablets. I'm not a big salt fan so that won't be too hard. I've found a slice of wheat bread toasted with a thin layer of organic peanut butter and half a banana sliced on it in the morning leaves me quite full for most of the day. I'm going to get some fruit and cut it up and put some lemon juice on it to keep handy to snack too. Thanks for the suggestions :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wholemeal bun

Hi all
just going to make this again

Old Scottish Wholemeal Bun

Prep:15mins
+ 1 cup bran breakfast cereal
+ 1/2 cup self-raising flour
+ 1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
+ 1/2 tsp baking powder
+ 1 cup mixed dried fruit
+ 1 cup milk
+ 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
+ 2/3 cup brown sugsr, lightly packed
+ Butter to serve (optional)

1 Grease a 10cmX 22cm loaf pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan.

2 Combine all ingredients, except butter, in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

3 Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or well cooked when tested. Stand bun in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool

4 Using a serrated knife, cut bun into thick slices and serve with butter, if desired.

Enjoy. No I'm not Scottish, an aussie, and hungy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts