The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Currently undiagnosed but with some pointers to lupus, and lots of neuro symptoms - awaiting another neuro and rheumie opinion)

Not sure if I've mentioned it on this group or not, but a while back I went to GP saying I thought I had major fluid retention: face had got really fat, felt worse on waking, fingers fat on waking, abdominal distension (waist measurement had increased 4 inches in a very short time), but no noticeable ankle swelling. Also my weight had increased dramatically - at least 7 pounds in a month, possibly more, with no change to exercise or food intake. The GP poked at my tummy and pronounced that it was wind, and said he didn't think my face was any fatter (even though I now have virtually no facial creases when I had heaps before).
I went on a really strict calorie counting regime to make sure I wasn't eating too much (turned out I was eating 1500-1600 kcal a day regularly so should have lost a pound a week just on that), and also increased my exercise a little (difficult because of the level of physical disability I have), but nothing changed with the weight.

Then a week ago I decided to try some herbal diuretic tablets. I took the recommended maximum dose and in three days I have passed enormous amounts of urine and dropped 7 pounds in weight and my face looks like it has some shape now. I am quite convinced that the only thing I have changed that has caused this weight loss is taking the herbal stuff (contains boldo, bladderwrack, clivers and dandelion extracts) and drinking one cup of green tea a day. Does this constitute reasonable proof that my weight gain and abdominal distension was actually fluid retention? Or will I just be pushing s*** uphill without a shovel if I go back to GP to tell him?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Personally I doubt this GP will believe you given his prior assessment of the situation. GPs tend to have little faith in herbal type medication, and he likely won't take your self report as good evidence it was all due to water retention.

You can certainly mention your experience to him, but in your shoes I wouldn't make an appt with him just to tell him this. I might mention it almost as an aside at some other appointment.

Lastly, I think many otherwise healthy people might lose an easy 5 pounds by taking a diuretic for a few days. I'm not myself convinced this is the best evidence it was due to water retention!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Maia. No, I won't be going to GP just for this, and as you have said, the results from the herbal stuff could just be normal fluid loss. I'm going to keep up the herbal diuretics for a bit longer though and see if I do get down to a more normal weight.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I"ve lost 10lbs in one day on water pills. I took the extra pill for 7 days but on the 5th day (the doctor told me to get on the scale every day) I had suddenly dropped 10 lbs. I'm still having swelling but at least its not as bad.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi

the best and healiest way to get rid of water retention is by drinking water. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you feel like you are retaining water after that press on your skin. If dimble that you pressed stays than yes you are retain water. At that point I would investagate why. First cut out salt for awhile. If it does not do the trick then see doc. Our bodies tend to fluctuate. Your amount is high.
It could be something as simple as hormones. I had a condidition when I was 28 where I had to take water pills. I hated it. You did not mention what meds you were on. This could be a big factor

Elaine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts