TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Thought I'd let you know how I'm doing. I'm the one who posted about a bad case of hives a few weeks ago. Well, the hives are all gone now... although the skin where I had them is now peeling & flaky. I think it still itches occasionally, but only slightly.

The thing that's frustrating is I still can't figure out the cause. I've tried various things I'd been exposed to--foods, shampoo, etc.--but nothing has brought back the hives. Which is both good and bad. :( I'm glad not to be tortured w/that itch... but I wish I knew where it had come from! Not even the sun seems to bring it back.

Although I did have a bit of a blotchy redness on my arms the other day, along with a few tiny, rash-like spots--they were red, about 1 mm across, and surrounded by a small white halo. They didn't itch. They were there for a couple hours, then went away.

Anyway... what I wanted to post about is this:
While I was on the Prednisone, I noticed a lot of my pains went away! It was like, one night, I suddenly realized my ribs weren't hurting anymore! And they'd been hurting pretty badly lately. After I stopped taking the meds, all the pains came back again.

So my question is, does this prove that I've got some kind of inflammation going on here? Today I feel just awful... it's like everything is achy and stiff, and the fatigue is pretty bad, too.

I gotta say, I hate the idea of taking Prednisone on a long-term basis... even though my joints felt better, my muscles--especially in my neck--were a lot worse. I was tied in knots! :worried: Also, mentally and emotionally I felt horrible... extremely spacey and aggrivated. So if there IS something inflammatory going on here, I hope there's something else I can take.

I don't know what the deal is, but I do seem to be a lot worse lately.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The fact that prednisone helped reduce you aches and pains is a sign that your pain is due to inflammation. There are NSAIDs out there that can also help to reduce inflammation but you really don't want to take them either for a number of years either if you can avoid it! It is therefore pretty important to find a rheumy for diagnosis and treatment if at all possible. Even if you have to travel a ways to go to a good one.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Songmom, Yep, it's time to take that big step and
ask your GP to give you a referral to be seen by a Rheumy.
Ask him if he could reccommend one that he knows. You will probably have to wait a while b/4 you can get in, so, take that time to write down your medical history, and then write down what you are going thru right now. Also put down all the meds that you have been put on, and if they helped or not. I will keep my fingers crossed and wish for the best for you. Let us all know. and don't put it off!!!:wink2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts