TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with lupus & anyway, had blood tests done last monday & I need to go in to redo my cbc because white blood count was low. what does this mean, should I be nervous?:worried:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's not something to be especially worried about unless it is very low. A low white blood cell count is often caused by lupus itself, or it can be caused by some medications. It may raise your risk of infection if it is too low.

Be sure to ask your doctor for the actual count(s), and ask your doctor if anything in your treatment should be changed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was 2.4 I have been pretty steady with it till now. Funny thing is that he reduced my cellcept intake from 3000 per day to 2000. I thought it would go up, but it went down. Then I was reading that if it is low it could mean some lupus activity, which confuses me because i thought that lupus would cause a high wbc. It doesn't make sense in my head that low wbc would mean active lupus. I think he's worried cause my c3 was low and also had some protien in the urine test. It just seems odd that he would redo the cbc & not the others though. I don't know, I"m sure I'm reading into it more than I should & I should just wait for him to explain. He's just not easy to get on the phone, his nurse calls & she doesn't really know anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My WBC & RBC are usually lower than the normal, my doctor said that tells her that lupus is "stirring" around. She said if everything across the board was low then that could mean it was the Imuran and/or MTX.

Try not to worry and let us know how the 2nd round of tests go. Take care

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty worried about my own white blood cell count. When we last checked a week ago, it was at 1.3 which is pretty low. I would love to be at 2.4! I wouldn't worry too much yet, but definitely keep close tabs on it.
I had been out of the hospital for 4 days (it was 0.7) there. I was having these raging high fevers for 4 weeks and they checked me for every possible infection. Thank God the fevers have been gone for 5 days now. I am eagerly awaiting the test results from yesterday's bloodwork and urinalysis. My doctor hasn't called yet and I don't know if that's a good sign or not. We are slowly lowering the prednisone and hoping they don't come back. I'm also awaiting results on urine tests. I was leaking quite a bit of protein as well and if it has affected my kidneys, it's going to be a delicate balancing act of treating because of my already low white count. My doctor seems unsure himself of what our next step would be. This flare or whatever was just so sudden and drastic that it's very scary. I was fine a couple of months ago and now this. I'm doing a lot of praying and putting it in God's hands...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your responses. Lauralee, please know that you will be in my thoughts & prayers too. I guess I really don't have much to worry about right now compared to what you are having to go through. Let us know how your other tests come out & how you are doing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just found out some good news. My WBC jumped from 1.3 to 2.5 (in a week) I just found out! My rhuematologist was even surprised by how fast it jumped. I also have no kidney damage at the time, even though I am leaking protein. Can I just say lots of prayer works wonders?!
Erenae, I will pray that:thumbs: yours will continue to go up to a higher level as well. I'm not sure what it is considered a healthy level for us lupies, but I will have to check that out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh good! I'm so happy for you that things are looking better!! Yes, prayers do work! :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi eranae :)

A high white cell count is often found in infections as far as we go, and a low one either due to lupus activity or immunosuppressant medications. Sometimes a doc will reduce the immunosuppressants to see if the WBC goes up - then they would know if it's due to that or lupus stirring. Sounds like your Lupus is stirring :( especially if you have a low C3 right now and protein in urine. I hope things improve for you soon.

I didnt get my white cell count up to normal until I started Immunosuppressants - it was Lupus causing them to be low.

Why do lupus patients have low white cell counts, and what is the significance of this?
In SLE, antibodies directed against white cells are very common. A lower than normal lymphocyte count is found on the full blood count in about 95% of lupus patients. This is due to the presence of antibodies to lymphocytes which results in the destruction of the antibody-coated lymphocytes. Fortunately this rarely causes a clinical problem because more lymphocytes are released from the bone marrow where they are made. This means that there are enough lymphocytes to fight infection, especially those due to viruses like flu. However, high doses of certain drugs can also cause destruction of lymphocytes and, because the bone marrow where these cells are made is also attacked by such drugs, there may not be enough lymphocytes to light infection. So in this case there is an increased risk of infections, especially viral infections. Cyclophosphamide, which is sometimes used to treat more severe kidney disease can have this effect. Consequently the white cell count is regularly checked in people receiving this drug so that the drug dose can be adjusted if necessary.
Low neutrophil counts are less common than low lymphocytes counts as a result of lupus and is more common in people of Afro-Caribbean origin (even in the absence of lupus). Low neutrophil counts can also be the result of drugs such as cyclophosphamide and azathioprine and if severe can be associated with bacterial infections such as pneumococcal pneumonia. Again, regular blood monitoring tests will usually prevent this complication by allowing the drug dose to be adjusted before a problem occurs.
http://www.uklupus.co.uk/fact14.html

love
Lily

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Lily, that makes a little more sense now. I do have good news though, I made an appointment at the Mayo clinic in Rochester for the 29th. I don't know why, dont know if there's anything they can do or tell me that my other doctor can't, but I just think it will make me feel better knowing I have some of the best docs in the world looking at me & what is going on. blood counts are still low, my regular doc hasn't done anything different with my meds yet. he's just watching things now I think. I've been pretty sick this past week with throwing up and pain. Hope it goes away soon! I've missed work all week & am feeling pretty bad about that! :sad: :eek:hno: :sigh:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((((((erenae))))))))))) I hope the clinic has some answers/solutions for you :hug:

Try not and feel guilty about work, although I know it's hard, but it's not like you could help it :(

love
Lily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts