The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, a question for you all... I went out to 'motherfunkers' an old fashioned disco thingy for mothers like me who like to bop round the kitchen, given the energy!! Woman only... prancing around singing to Mamma mia etc etc.. anyway got a sore strained larynx next day and then felt awful and ended up in bed with 'flu like symptoms' for five days, very high fever, sweats, no appetite etc and all the lupusy symptoms kicked in and up went the steroids.. i could actually see the swelling in my neck!! That went down but still left with a lumpy feeling in my throat/neck. I can swallow ok except when I try and swallow too quickly, or talk and eat, or drink and eat... then its a problem and the pain is definitely a conversation killer! I don;t get indigestion as such, just feels like somebody put a ligature round my oesophagus..... I am sure there are many that would love to, given my singing style but... any ideas? Think I should probably get it checked now as it has been a couple of months of discomfort though oddly not continual...??:hehe:
Claire

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Claire

I have been having the same problem on and off for the past 4 months. In addition to the symptoms you describe, I find that I have to sleep either flat without a pillow or propped up with several - so that they extend under my shoulders and avoid any bend in my neck/throat. During the day, I find that the "lump" at the base of my throat gives me a dry cough when I bend my head forwards.

On a couple of occasions, these symptoms have been accompanied by a very swollen tongue.

I'm seeing my rheumy at London Bridge Hospital on Tuesday this week and, if I get one, I will post the explanation / advice.

Hope you feel better soon.

Merle

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Claire :wavey:

I am really not sure what is going on with you right now but i think that the best thing you could do is visit your gp. You have had the symptoms for quite a while now so seeking medical advise would be sensible.

Hope you get some answers and something to help you with your throat.

Good luck :luck:, Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Claire, it does sound as though you need to get this checked out with the doc. Best to be safe. Sorry you are in so much discomfort. The disco sounds great fun!!!!

Deb x

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Merle, Deb and Jo... I also have a dry cough, that can actually be a bit hard to shift and embarrassing!! I will make a gp appointment, though I did sort of mention it to my Rheumy and he said we will discuss that another time if still there!! Think he gets overwhelmed! I will be very interested Merle to find out how you get on with your appointment and what they think.. hope it is a good one for you.XX
Claire

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Claire

Update as promised.

In my case, Dr D'Cruz felt that the periods of feeling a swelling in my throat are probably due to some form of generalized allergic reaction. He did not believe that this reaction was due to any specific allergen, but rather to some non-specific elevation of my histamines levels. Apparently, this is fairly common in those with autoimmune illnesses.

He advised me to take anti-histamines next time it happens and to seek help if it does not work.

I would suggest that you don't assume that you have experienced the same thing and that you see a doctor to check out your symptoms.

Take care

Merle

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Merle, that is great... mine doesn't feel like that but who knows eh?? I am seeing my GP tomorrow... mind you it isn't prominent all the time so could be allergies.....oh just shoot me!!:lol:.. thanks again appreciate the update.
Claire XX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts