The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GYN has sugested that i take Lupron Depot for Endometriosis. It would put me into menopause for about 6 months, hopefully the Endometriosis would die out during that time. I'm only 28 and not looking forward to it but if it works i will. Anyone been on it? did it work?

thanks
leslie[/COLOR]

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Leslie,

I personally haven't done it but wanted to respond with what I know. Do you have APS with your Lupus? If so you want to check with your Rheumatologist to get an ok. I know that some people are put on birth control pills to control their endometriosis. I was 44 or 45 when my endometriosis was uncovered. Past the child bearing age and my rheumy didn't really want me to go on birth control so I had a full blown Hysterectomy. This is not a solution for a young woman like you who is still in her child bearing years. I hope the Lupron will work for you and get rid of the endometriosis. I know some women have used the Lupron when they are going through Cytoxan so that they can remain fertile.

Let us know how things go.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have been on it, this is a drug that prevents your body from producing hormones rather than adding additional hormones like birth control does. It did put me into full blown menopause within about 3 weeks of the first shot. It did eliminate my periods, and also the pain I experienced befure/during them. I was put on this drug right after my lap done to excise some endometriosis. I think that is when it is most likely to be effective - getting it right after they've removed as much as they can surgically.

In my case when I went off the Lupron the pain all came back as bad as before. My case was a little different because I had the most severely retroflexed uterus they had ever seen (born that way - not due to adhesions from endo) and while they didn't know if that was causing the pain or not - I decided to have them surgically fix that and it worked WONDERS. I now wish I had not gone on the Lupron but instead just fixed the positioning of the uterus but you never know - it could have all worked together too.

There are risks with Lupron, many women report symptoms returning soon after stopping it. There can be MAJOR bone loss with Lupron. Lupron has been associated with a lupus like illness, although there is no proof that Lupron causes lupus or makes lupus worse. Then there is the lack of sleep and hot flashes you'll go through.

I would ask how many women have had success maintaining less pain after going off it - and see if any studies have been done to that effect yet. I don't think it's very high... however... I have to say I REALLY appreciated those 6 months because they were my first pain free ones in about 18 years. 18 LONG years!

Good luck to you - if you go on it I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

Birth control was brought up but i really have no interest in taking it for the next 15 or more years, if i were heterosexual and needed the extra benefit of it i might, but seeing as how there is NO way i have to worry about accidental pregnancy, it's just not worth it, all the side effects. I do want children someday and my GYN said that this treatment wouldn't effect my future fertility.

Thank you for your help. It really helps to be able to ask real people who have "been there". :)
Oh now they give you extra stuff to help with the hot flashes and bone loss. It's not estrogen based ether.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I was on Lupron for years while I battled numerous bouts with the female enemy, Endometriosis, and eventually landed in the OR with a total hysterectomy ovaries too.

The drug is really not that bad and the side effects are not so bad either.

I can remember parts of my body changing a little and some facial hair that needed to be plucked. Hot flashes were severe and a few pimples on my face that I never dealt with before.

I started injections at the tender young age of 13 and was on and off Lupron until I was 36 and truly it was not that bad, at least for me.

Everyone is different and side effects from drugs may react differently for you then for me.

I am wondering since you posted May 8th about this, are you on Lupron now?

Let us know how your doing.;););)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hate to be a doom merchant, but there is no guarentee that non hormonal stuff will help with hot flushes etc.

I went through a similarly abrupt menopause (caused by cytoxan) and tried all sorts of non hormonal stuff - the only thing that worked was estrogen.

Eventually they said yes to hrt as I am anticoagulated (I have APS).

I know you need to avoid estrogen for other reasons - but abrupt drug induced menopause can be very severe (mine was) and the non hormonal stuff just didn't cut it for me.

But then, I have never tried lupron, so it all may be different with that. At least your meno will be reversable, and at your age that's the main thing too.

pregnancy 'cured' my sister's server endo - she had been told that her chances of getting pg were zippo due to her endo but she managed somehow. So if you are thinking about children, getting busy with a turkey baster may be another option

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Raglet,

Your sister is lucky that pregnancy cured her.

For me, they told me I would NEVER GET PREGNANT!

Then, when I did get pregnant they told me I would NEVER have issues with endometriosis again.

Low and behold I landed in surgery with a total hysterectomy long after I gave birth to my son.

Sometimes I think doctors just do not know what they are talking about but then again medicine is not an exact science.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very interesting topic for me, as i was just diagnosed with endo, also, and trying to figure out what to do next. more surgery, hormones, birth control, etc. thanks for all the good information. i'm going to keep my eye on this thread.

mandy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.