The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been diagnosed for nearly a year now, and have been very up and down in regards to symptoms - thnakfully skin rash is under control, but fatigue and joint pain still feature quite highly.

Been going through quite a good spell, but this weekend joints have been playing up, and fatigue has been worse - needing to sleep after work, and early to bed. A lupus nurse commented that tomato and cheese may trigger symptoms, and I had pizza at the weekend - just wondering if anyone has heard or experienced similar with food triggers?

·
Registered
580 Posts
hi alisonr, i did read that in the internet somewhere i cant remember exactly

where but i didnt believe it because i eat tomatoes like crazy:lol: :lol: :lol: i eat spagetti, pizza and everything that has tomatoes in it and never flared from it. It also said the same thing about mushrooms, eggplant, and other foods but like i said i never flared from it and i eat everything there is on this earth:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi alison,

There is some evidence that some people do get more achy with certain foods, the nightshade family in particular, which tomatoes are. I find I'm ok unless I really overload on them...........I wouldnt call some pizza with a smothering of tomato paste on it overloading. However everyone is different. See how you go without it though, and then re-introduce it into your diet. That's a good way to tell.

love
Lily

·
Registered
612 Posts
There have been some studies done on that and some people can't tolerate certain foods. Like Lily said see how you do with them and if you see you are having trouble reduce them and see if that makes you feel better.

Jen

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
All I can say is that i LOVE cheese and tomatoes and I aint giving them up for anything !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

raglet

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, i'll give it a go. I do eat tomatoes in salalds lots, so maybe its just the combination. I'll get rid of both, :sad: and reintroduce one at a time, then both, hopefully we'l get a result, and hopefully this flare will end soon - had to take a day off work today :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was also told that tomatoes can induce an inflammatory process. I completely forgot about that until reading this thread, and I also fill my salads with tomatoes. Might be worth a try to just eliminate them for awhile and see how you do.

Sorry you're feeling so crappy! Rest and take care of yourself!

Good Luck.

Karin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts