Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Back again with more symptoms. :sad: Does anyone have bowel problems that are connected to Lupus?

Ive had problems for a few months now. Ive had a colonoscopy and understand they think its some sort of colitis. Infective or inflammatory not sure yet as not received the follow up appointment yet.

The GP has in the meantime put me back on Prednisilone 20 mgs to try and clear it up maybe... shes not sure but said its worth a try to get me through Christmas.

Its much better in the last few days since Ive been on the Pred. and its also done wonders for my ever increasing joint inflammation of late.

I read something about some bowel problems being related to auto-immune disease. Just wondered if anyone else had developed symptoms like this with Lupus too.

Im thinking that if they say it can attack any part of your system it could be attacking my bowel.

Just a thought. If anyone has any information on this or experience of it I would be grateful to hear.

Thanks
Sal x

·
Registered
468 Posts
While my SLE has sort of slipped into the background for now, I have had Irritable bowel syndrome, gastroparesis, gastritis off and on as well as liver congestion with infiltrates. Those are my digestive systom issues from my stomach to my bowel to my liver. Pretty sure the gastroparesis and the liver issues are connected to lupus and or lupus drugs. Not sure if that helps:wink2:but maybe gives you something to compare with. I have not yet had a colonoscopy, but have had barium lower GI, and multiple intestinal x-ray series. Take care....hope Christmas goes ok. I am keeping my fingers crossed for me as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sal, I get a lot of problems from time to time with my digestive system, particularly my bowels. I thought it was irritable bowel syndrome but had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and it wasn't. The gastroenterologist told me it was from scleroderma which I'm also diagnosed with as well as SLE. Like you I've read that lupus can affect your bowel so to be honest I don't know. I also take medication to stop the lining of my stomach bleeding which it does from time to time. Hope you get some relief. Have a good Christmas
Lis

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Sal, yes lupus can attack your GI tract / bowels, it does mine. I suffered with diarrhea every day for almost 2 years (after being dx with Celiac and adhering to a gluten free diet). My 3rd rheumy suspected I had lupus on the first visit and that attacked my gut, my other doctor's didn't make that connection. She started me on Imuran and the diarrhea stopped. I started out on 50mg = 1 tab and over the last couple of years we've had to up it, now I'm on 125mg = 2 1/2 tabs. It keeps things under control but I do have to limit my fruit and raw veggie intake.

I hope you find some relief soon.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Sal,

I have had and still have severe issues with my GI tract and now the doctors are thinking it may be related to possibly vasculitis or possible scleroderma. I am highly positive for SCL70 antibodies yet do not show many signs physically of active disease yet.

In the last 1 1/2 years I have had numerous Endoscopies with biopsies and yet it never shows vasculitis so who knows for sure. I have recurrent peptic ulcer disease even while taking triple doses of proton pump inhibitor drugs and I do not have a stomach to produce acid so my case is really a mystery.

All my life I dealt with chronic, frequent bath room visits that came along with urgency. I also had consistent abdominal cramping that would wax and wane but I can tell you that my entire life I have had a uncooperative stomach.

I hope you get a answer and things settle down for you. Nothing worse then having stomach issues with no end in sight. Keep your chin up.:wink2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stomach Issues

I have had what I believe to be IBS for the past 20 years. I was only dx with Lupus 2 years ago. I have also had Raynauds for a good part of those 20 years as well. I was put on Methotrexate right out of the hospital after being dx. I didn't have any of the IBS symptoms the whole time I was on it. Then I was switched to Imuran which better controlled my Lupus symptoms but the IBS symptoms came back. I was given an Endoscopy a month ago and they told me I had gastritis. I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks but I doubt they will find anything. I recently have been having constant pain even though my blood work is normal. I think I may have Fibromyalgia as well. My Aunt as Fibro as well and my Mom has MS. I am doomed! Besides IBS seems to go hand in hand with both Lupus AND Fibro! Yeah. :sad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I have recently been diagnosed with SLE. In the past two months, I have suffered what seems unrelenting flares :( ....passing of, at least, one kidney stones...allergic reaction to generic Plaquenil....and most recently issues with my bowels; i.e., nausea, vomiting, finally with my stomach being distended and being in excruciating pain, kinda like cramping. Upon returning from vacation, my Rheumy diagnosed this most recent episode as "intestinal psuedo-obstruction." When I went to the E.R., the doctor there treated it as constipation, even though he view the x-ray indicating that I only had an enormous amount of fluid. Will this be a life-long issue with my intestines? What does one do for treatment?

Thanks for any input!

Kim

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Hey Sal,

I have been told that I have IBS also..... I had to have my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago, I had gall bladder disease... never ever had a problem with it until I got sick with Lupus, so I have a sneaking suspension it was related. Even with it gone, I still get stomach pains to the point where it it feels like someone is twisting my insides.... and I don't have to eat a lot to get this... there have been morning where I've eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and have been so sick to my stomach... its crazy. I hope you get some relief soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.