The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new here and I'd like to hear what you can tell me about lupus and brain fog. I've had major brain fog for the past six months and I thought it was because of the MTX I was on. I was recently switched to Imuran and I'm hoping the brain fog will go away, but now I just read that there is also a lupus brain fog. Geeze! Can you enlighten me about this? Maybe I can figure out where the heck mine's coming from.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Yes brain fog can be an integral part of lupus. It is recognised as such but it is not necessarily easy to know why we suffer from it.

It is important to remember that an accumulation of tiredness over a long period of time can also make brain fog a lot worse. Sometimes we are so used to being tired and not sleeping well that it doesn't even enter our heads that we are not. Unfortunately we do, to an extent, get used to pain and only really fully realise it was there when it goes.

It's good that you have been started on Imuran. For me at least, it helped my brain fog tremendously - mine seems to be linked mainly to disease activity so by controlling the disease, it helped control the fog.

Good luck with the imuran,
hugs :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Katherine. Your response is encouraging. I have high hopes for Imuran. In doing my research I just came across an article that also mentions sjogren's and brain fog. Two for the price of one, so-to-speak. I'll just keep hoping it was the MTX.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, I can tell you exactly how to handle brain fog. Oh ! yes,well just as
soon as I can remember.I have been on your meds, and several, several others,
and my hubby has gotten so tired of trying to fill in my sentences that he has
just quit, and sit's there and knows that if he waits long enough, that I will think
of the words.The only place it bothers me, is in public, I get nervous Ahead of time,
knowing that as soon as the clerk speaks to me, I will just babble. You are not alone

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Halfpint, you are funny! I can so relate to that business about the clerks, but the worst for me is when I run into people I know and CANNOT for the life of me remember their names. This is a small town so I run into people nearly every day and when I can't remember their name, or worse, where I know them from (if I haven't seen them often before or for a while) it totally embarasses me. Sometimes I just smile and fake it and hope I'll get a clue who they are after we talk for a bit. I feel like such an idiot! Oh well, since either Sjogren's or lupus can cause brain fog, at least I have something to blame it on if it continues after the MTX is out of my system.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi there,
Try being a teacher with brain fog! Some days I know my students think I'm crazy. It's so frustrating sometimes. I have to plan right down to the sentences I will use so that I don't get all confused. And I am still too young to even think about retirement for many years. What am I going to do when I'm in my 50's and 60's?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angie, I like to think that before you hit your 50s there will be a CURE!!! Oh yes, I have high hopes. It may be too late for me (56 years young) but I fear for my 27-year-old daughter and 31-year-old son and I pray the answer will come before too much longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts