The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have chicken pox i was always told to avoid it contacted my rheumys team i was told not to worry and that i should just carry on as normal, but today i got a call to go in and see him but i dont know why my renal dr did a blood testjust to check my lupus activity, but surely if there was a problem they would have called me in im scared any one have any thoughts
sheryl :(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Chicken pox in adults (even anyone much over the age of 13) is usually worse than chicken pox in childhood. When you have lupus, especially if you are on immunosuppressant medications or high doses of prednisone, then you run a higher risk of some of the more rare, but also more serious complications of chicken pox. Keep in mind that serious complications are quite rare, but there is sometimes some medication that can help reduce the intensity of the outbreak of chicken pox.

If you appear to be having a mild case at this point, then there's probably little to worry about. I would keep the appointment though to err on the side of being safe rather than sorry. There are a lot of individual factors to consider as well as the severity of your outbreak to know your relative risk level. Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
869 Posts
sheryl,
I'm so sorry you have to deal with chicken pox :hugbetter:. I had them a few years ago in my early 30's. Kids came home from school with them. The older you are, the worse it seems they get. I have read that people with Lupus are more susceptible to chicken pox and shingles than the general population. It sounds like your Drs. are just being extra cautious, which is a good thing. If it were anything too serious, I'm sure they would have called.
My advice is rest, plenty of fluids, and if your fever goes up and regular meds won't bring it down, if the pain is unbearable or you start getting them around your eyes, in your throat or they start forming together get to a hospital quickly.
I hope you get through this as smoothly as is possible and that it is just a distant memory soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts