TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank You

Hi,
Thank you for the helpful information. I WOULD LOVE TO BE AN ADVOCATE! I'm going to look into it. Mandy, my daughter has lupus.
Ginny :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ginny,

Mandy is a very lucky individual to have you as her mother :)

Thats great, we need all the publicity and awareness issues raised to those in power for obvious reasons. It will bring our disease out of the unknown and rarely understood, into the limelight. With that will come more funding and hopefully more understanding and solutions to the puzzle that is Lupus.

Thank you :) :hugbetter:

love
Lily

·
Registered
2 Posts
lupus and depression

I have spent my x-mas in the hosp. because my depression was really bad. I have thyroid disease also. I was on wellbutrin for 6 mo. apparently was not working i was in for major depression and suicide watch. after 6 days they weaned me off of it and put me on celexa and still would not let me out!!! 30 days later it is taking affect and i am feeling better than i have in a long time. i am even exercising too which helps my legs.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum!

So sorry to hear you had such severe depression :( that it landed you in hospital over xmas.

I take an anti-d that is the same as Celexa, I tried a lot before that one thankfully it is helping me immensely. I hope the same for you.

love
Lily

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am going to see a psychiatrist in March. My rheumy referred me to her. I was starting to think that my rheumy was doubting my diagnosis of SLE but after reading the article I feel more at ease.
Thank you.
hugs Wendy

·
Registered
1 Posts
thans a lot (hilal from turkey:) )

:)thanks for the helpful information..ı am having sleeping problems these days:worried: ı can say that ı am sleeping almost 14 or 15 hours every day...ı just thougt that if ı live 60 years alive, ı will waste 35 years for sleeping:rolleyes: anyway this information helped me a lot ı am going to see my doctor immediately..thanks again :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I just joined today. I have recently been diagnosed with SLE Lupus and also have an underactive thyroid. I Have not been feeling too good for a while now, its just good to talk to other people with this condition!!

Thanks Lily for the lupus site, it has answered alot of questions for me!!

Angela..xx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Lily,

Thank you for the useful information. I always, have such a difficult time decerning within myself, how much of my feeling bad so much of the time is due to depression or my conditions.

I have been depressed for awhile now, and recently went to my psychiatrist to get another anti-depressant..because, of feeling like the Lexapro was no longer effective for me. I am on 30mgs. of Cymbalta now, only for about two weeks..so it is still early for me to tell if it is helping.

Depression is a horrible illness. Thank you lily, for helping to remind us just how big a role it may play in our lives..

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanking God for Zoloft!

I've have SLE-related depression and I am so grateful for Zoloft. It has helped me tremendously! The one thing I would say to anyone struggling with depression is GET HELP. Life--even life with lupus--can be rich and rewarding and you deserve to be in a mental/emotional frame of mind to enjoy it.

When I was struggling with whether or not to take medication, a terrific PA/Nurse Practitioner said to me, "would you feel guilty taking insulin if you were a diabetic? Of course not. Well your body doesn't seem to know how to use its seratonin correctly. So how is it any different than the diabetic?" Wise words.

Talk to your doctor ASAP and start the process of regaining YOU.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi jen, just seen your pic of dog in car is it a shi-tzu or similar just asking as it looks like my shi-tzu kiki. new to this site. not diagnosed yet but getting there. anna

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you for the post Lily. It is good to be reminded how common depression is and that it is treatable.

I have had depression much of my adult life and fought it without medication for 20 years! I have been on Prozac for 6 years and it has worked wonders. Definitely seek help if you think you have depression. Many very "normal" people struggle with it (Not sure I would be included in the "normal" category, however:p)

Holly

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've just read through the article and wanted to add my thanks too. I think I may have depression too but just thought that I was going through a bit of a down phase. Reading the article has made me realise that much of what it describes is what I am feeling right now, and most importantly that I can speak to my doctor about it!

In a message elsewhere I moaned about a govt doctor telling me I should seek professional help for feeling so negative about my condition and, because of how the rest of the interview went, I dismissed his comments out of hand. Maybe he was right after all (even if he was wrong about the other stuff! :)). I am going to try and make an appt with my GP to talk things through.

So again, thank you so much for posting this!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Lily,
It is a depressing thing lupus, it costs you so much joy in your life so it does not surprise me that many of us have depression and are on depression meds. I myself am one of many on the site that are in this group. It is hard not to be depressed when the sun in one of the things we have to avoid. For most People summer means being able to enjoy the nice weather that has come after a very long winter.

It is really nice that you have posted the link for so many to read and be aware of what most of us live with most of our lives. In case I have not said it already Thank You very much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi evryone,
how can you tell if you are depressed when you have lupus?? this is one thing i find to be confusing.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I think that everyone gets down patches and down days. However, you may realise that those down days are just going on and on and you can't see an end to it. If you find that you are lethargic in mind (and not just body) or not wanting to do anything or being anxious or any other signs of depression then you might need to talk to your doctor about it. Living with a chronic disease is hard enough without having to tackle depression on top of that.

If you realise that mentally you are not the same person you usually are/were then you might need to talk about this. Of course, many of us get transitory depression in reaction to symptoms and pain and many of us get plain frustrated (and docs can be quick to say "you're depressed" when you know you're not) without necessarily being depressed.

Katharine

·
Registered
7 Posts
:tinker:Glad to hear you are doing better....the depression can be very difficult to get through....right or wrong, I hybernate and ride the wave out. So glad to have you fine people to come to and share!:tinker:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts