The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having a good day/week.

Some of you may have read a post I posted awhile back on ankle pain. Well I went to my rheumy for my reg. check-up. I told him about the pain in my ankle. Of course he pressed on it and the surrounding area and I thought I was going to go thru the roof!:eek: I had an MRI done and it shows I have a fracture of the tibia.

I honestly don't remember doing anything to cause the fracture!!! There are many times that I bump into something and say to myself, oh that is going to bruise later. Sure enough a bruse would show up but half the time I can remember saying I was going to get a bruise but could not remember what it was I bumped into!!:blush: I bruise easily with cause that is. Anyway I don't remember doing anything to hurt my leg/ankle and there is "no" bruise.

My question: Does lupus/sjogrens/other auto immune diseases make us more susceptible/at risk for fractures? Or am I the odd ball out there? :lol:

I would appreciate it if anyone had some knowledge on this. I feel so stupid when I am asked how I did this! I go to the ortho. surgeon friday. I can only imagine what he will think. :eek:hno:

Take care,
Janice

·
Registered
149 Posts
One other autoimmune disease that can contribute to fractures is coeliac disease. It is one of the group of autoimmune disorders (including RA, lupus, etc) that has a similar genetic tendency (though not directly inherited). Coeliac disease (celiac in the US) is gluten intolerance, but long term and undiagnosed it causes malabsorption problems, and in particular can contribute to very early osteoporosis. I'd suggest strongly that you ask your doctor to do bone density testing (on the basis that you managed to get a fracture without realising it and with no obvious definite injury event), and also that you get the blood screening tests done for coeliac disease - particularly if you think you might be a bit sensitive to gluten or wheat (bloating etc) or if you have any vague bowel or digestive problems. Just don't change your diet until you are tested for this though, as you need to be eating normal amounts of gluten for test results to show positive. If your bone density is lower than expected for your age, then definitely insist on coeliac testing.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Janice :eek:

I second the idea of getting a bone density test done if it has not already been suggested, your GP can arrange that for you.

How are your Vitamin D levels? That's another consideration, some of us are deficient. Celiac disease can cause it, but so can a lot of other things, not necessarily related to Celiac. Your GP could check that out for you too.

Are you on Prednisone or been on it in the past?

Good luck with the Ortho, don't worry about what they say or don't say, it's not your fault. Sometimes lots of things hurt with us and we don't even take any notice of them after a while.

I remember my Aunt being diagnosed with Osteoporosis after she had broken a few bones by not doing anything in particular. She's doing ok now in that respect as she is on a class of drugs that slow it down and even rebuild bone.

Let us know how you get along :hug:

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Janice
Sorry about your fracture :(
Don't worry about anything the ortho might say: if he implies you are a dimwit it means he is something far worse. In fact it happens often that people don't realise they have damaged bones because it doesn't always hurt.
If I went running to docs everytime I bashed myself I would be there every day and as Lily says we don't run off to the doc's at every twinge when one has lots of them.
How are you supposed to make that judgement call. Especially when you are paying for each visit and a regular visit is in the offing.

To answer your question- yes lupus itself can cause an increased rate of osteopenia even when there are no other contributing factors such as Prednisone intake. age or physical type.

As a general note we should all ask for Vitamin D to be checked routinely.
There's a lot of talk these days about Vitamin D deficiency being associated with a number of diseases. Sometimes people have absorption problems too as cemc mentions. It's one of those things like B12 and thryoid that costs relatively little to get checked out but could make a world of difference.

I hope it will soon be better Janice and doesn't require lengthy treatment - I just don't know what it could involve.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Definitely get a bone density scan done if you have no idea about how you fractured your tibia. It is quite a big bone (as compared to say the small bones in the top of your foot) so I would have thought that you should know all about it if you fractured it.

My daughter fractured her wrist - at first I thought it was nothing, but when she was still crying half an hour later I tossed her into the car and took her up to the local White Cross for x-rays. It was pretty obvious really.

hope you heal up soon, if I was you I'd be thinking about taking some extra calcium and vit d if you are not already

raglet

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know I get alot of fractures

I know I get alot of fractures but I too have osteosporosis and that causes fractures. But I too have been a long term prednisone user too for my lupus. Still taking the prednisone too. I would suggest the bone density test too. That might give you some answers as to why this bone got broken so easily without you knowing. Hope you feel better soon:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies. You all gave a lot of good advice.

I will certainly be looking into all of it. To answer one of the questions, no I have never been on prednisone. Fortunately I haven't had to be on it so far. I do take plaquenil, relaphen (sp?), medication for dry eyes and mouth, and hormone replacement medication. I take a daily vitamin and most days a calcium replacement. I bought not long ago vit. d because of all the talk about how important it is for us women to be taking. I have not started taking it yet though! :blush: A little late but I guess better to start now for the future.

Thank you again for your input, I appreiate it and will certainly be requesting follow-up tests you mentioned.

Maybe my name should have been "Grace"! :rotfl:
Not-so-graceful,
Janice

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
the calcium, vit d, and hrt are all good for bones, so it sounds like you are on a good recepie, and not having taken prednisone is a really great thing in terms of your bones.

All the same, I would still be a bit suspicious and want the bone density scan for peace of mind. Ask your rheumie about it.

Hope it heals up quick - are you in a leg cast and hopping around on crutches ?

cheers

raglet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts