The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I know this has been discussed lately but there is an article in the Times today about it.
It describes a young girls lupus story and her belief that she has been affected by the change to energy saving light bulbs at her place of work.
It also states that Lupus.UK is set to discuss this with ministers.

For those of you outside the UK the article can be found on Timesonline

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/[/URL]

don't seem to be able to post a direct link

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article3334295.ece

I think that one might work.

It's not a bad article really if you read the whole lot. It mentions this:

One solution is to cover energy-efficient lighting with filters to reduce the UV emissions, already widespread practice to protect displays in museums. Lighting industry representatives also say that alternatives to fluorescent lighting will be available for those suffering from photosensitive diseases. Light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs can last 11 years and do not give off UV light.
Which at least lets us know there will be alternatives :)

Thanks for posting this :foryou:

love
Lily

·
Registered
300 Posts
Interesting article! Thanks for posting it!

Are they referring only to standard flourescent light bulbs or also the new energy efficient bulbs that are popular now?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
They mean the newer energy efficient light bulbs Sharon. They are called compact flourescent bulbs.

The only standard flourescent ones I know of are the long tubes which they already make covers for, although I am not sure how effective the covers are because I still react to them :hehe:

Let's hope they come up with a good compromise for us Lupies, so we can be environmentally conscious and not jeopardise our health at the same time.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I felt it worse before the Plaq kicked in - I can so tell when a store has changed their bulbs as I feel the glare as soon as I walk in followed by slight nausea. Previously I would get dizziness and lose the sight in my right eye. I know some members feel the effects on a much higher scale.

All our Marks and Spencers stores in Glasgow have had a refurb in the last year and I had to wait till they had finished before I could shop. :eek:

It was only in the final stages of the refurb did they cover up their new energy efficient lighting. Hubby thought it was great as I could only last a max of 20 minutes before wanting to leave. :hehe:

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello,

I wrote a letter to GE (General Electric) and was suprised to get a reply. The lighting company is aware that people with Lupus and other diseases are affected by the "new" flouresant light bulbs. The have come out with a light bulb that has proctive coating on it, it blocks out 98 to 99% of the harmful rays. ANd the good thing about it is that they dont break as easily. Only a few stores are carring them. Its called Saf-T lights.

Here is a copy of what GE sent to me...

This is from GE......
"Do light bulbs (such as compact fluorescent bulbs) give off hazardous amounts of ultraviolet (UV) light?
Regular fluorescent light bulbs used in your home and office do not produce a hazardous amount of ultraviolet light (UV). Most light sources, including fluorescent bulbs, emit a small amount of UV, but the UV produced by fluorescent light bulbs is far less than the amount produced by natural daylight. (Ultraviolet light rays are the light wavelengths that can cause sunburn and skin damage.)
Your safety is important to us; that's why, for all of our light bulbs designed for general public use, we strive to minimize the amount of UV light emitted."

I hope this help everyone with the info on light bulbs.

I was thinking of just living by candle light!!! hahaha

Steffanee

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's really amazing that you got a response from such a large corporation! I looked up the Saf-T-Gard Bulb, and in the states you can get them at Ace Hardware and Lamps Plus, both of which have online stores. Not for sure about a UK source. They are pricey little things - but what price for health?

Think I will be making a trip to the hardware store this week. Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same reaction when out at the stores. I have to leave very soon after getting there. But I have another question. We were looking into getting a new TV . I read that how a plasma works it uses bubbles that change into UV Rays . Will this effect you in the same way as Lighting????

I Love the info on the lights
Laurie

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Lily the same as me. I had the covers put on above my desk at work, but still have a reaction to them. Not as bad, but it still happens.

I wish it was law that they all have to be changed, because to me it is very hard to shop in the stores I like because of it. I have to fly in there and get right out and even for 10 minutes, things start to flare.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey guys, this really interests me because since i started work in this new lab (brand new all new energy saving bulbs) my lupus has got worse and worse. i often have a rash at work and feel nauseous and dizzy. what can you say though? i cant make my boss change alllll the light bulbs!! id feel so embarrassed mentioning it...do you really think they could be the problem? xxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts