The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
My Rheumy says I have Lupus, but I have some other problems that I'm not sure fit. One past GP suggested I might have MS although he wasn't really basing it on anything, more just commenting that often people who have Lupus without the more obvious tests coming back positive, may actually end up having MS.
Anyway, I am having problems with muscle spasms, and I think this might be also aggravating an irritation of the brachial nerves. On the other hand, the muscle spasms could be caused by the brachial nerve irritation (it is severe, burning pain, like fire). I also sometimes wake up in the morning to use the washroom, but then can't go (despite full bladder). Eventually, I can go but it takes a long time with a slow stream. This doesn't happen that often, but enough that I've noticed. I am also getting weakness of one limb, my left arm, this is sporadic......as well as numbness of my left foot and there is now some tenderness in the tendons, and reduced mobility of the ankle (not a lot, but some).
Anyway, I'm not asking for someone to tell me yes or no to whether this could be MS, but what I hoped is for someone who might have experience with misdiagnosis of Lupus instead of MS.....or someone who has both......to give me some idea of what they experienced.
I'm struggling.........my symptoms could also be explained by the Lupus flare (neuropathies, brachial irritation from shoulder bursitis). Or, my enlarged thyroid could be a brewing autoimmune thyroiditis (it's in the family), which could also be resulting in my neck pain and irritation of brachial plexus. It is all so confusing and frustrating. The usual Lupus symptoms that I have seem to have resolved, although my Rheumy thought I had vasculitis and maybe CNS involvement, so who knows........I haven't experienced that before so I don't know.
Can anyone suggest what tests I ought to be having?
Thanks, I know this post is confusing........I am confuzzled.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Dear confuzzled :lol:

There's a couple of articles pinned at the top of the Symptoms forum which talk about presentations and diagnosis of NPSLE.

Here's an article which mentions a bit about Lupus vs MS vs Antiphospholipid Syndrome :

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/44/4/434

Apart from the bloods used to help diagnose Lupus and APS the other investigations they carry out to narrow it down are a full neurological work-up by a good Neurologist (they don't all know what they are looking for when it comes to immune diseases). Also all the normal neuro tests like MRI/MRA, EEG, VEP and Lumbar puncture. The Lumbar Puncture is particularly helpful in ruling in MS (or in my case ruling it out). Also helpful are the regions of the brain affected by lesions, there are usually different areas and appearance for each of the diseases. Which is where a good Neuro is worth his weight in gold ;)

Apart from those, the specific symptoms help narrow things down a lot. Some are more relevant to Lupus and arent found in MS. However I did show Rombergs & even Llermitte's sign on Neuro exam a couple of times, but thats the power of mimickry SLE has for you :rolleyes:

love
Lily

1 - 2 of 2 Posts