The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have lupus. I had a few abnormal paps and not too long after began experiencing a prolapsed uterus/cervix.. before I knew it I had moderate to severe prolapsed organs and at the early age of 28 I had a total hysterectomy. My wonderful obgyn was shocked at the entire situation and had only heard of this happening to a few other woman at this age.. While on the hystersisters website I found a few different woman who also had hysterectomies and lupus.. And so I often wondered if there was a connection.. I did see my obgyn not too long ago and he mentioned that he would like to do a medical review on it and see what he comes up with.. He also asked my permission to use me as a case.. I said yes of course! Anyone here have lupus and had a hysto?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

I did have severe prolapses after my hysterectomy (vaginal, rectal, bladder). The hyst I had because of huge fibroids which had grown so quickly they weren't even sure what the heck was going on.

It's not uncommon for lupies to have abnormal paps, but on further testing they are usually found to be in the clear or at least have minimally invasive cone procedures.

I had never had any abnormal paps but after the hysterectomy pathology came back saying I had a really inflamed cervix.

The hysterectomy caused my lupus (at that time undiagnosed) to rev up in a big way. I had a lot of brain and spinal issues at that time and my neuro and lupus doc believe that because of the stress the operation put me under it brought everything to a head. It's incredible but I only have mild prolapses now that I'm being treated and the Lupus has calmed down considerably. So in my case at least Lupus decided to attack the operation site, not a fun time for sure!

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I had abnormal paps which the doctor decided was due to inflammation. No prolapses. The hysterectomy was due to a large fast growing fibroid and cysts on the ovaries. Once inside it turned out I was covered with endometriosis. Unlike Lily the Lupus seemed to calm down some after the hysterectomy for awhile.

The chronic inflammation could have be due to Lupus. Not sure if I would blame the rest on it. The same types of things happen in the general population. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the medical review.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
4,445 Posts
Hiya, I had a couple abnormal smears, followed by treatment, then ovarian cysts etc couple laps... had endometriosis.. lots of pain, also bleeding with a fibroid that was too low down to have marina coil.. so hysterectomy, bowel resection, scraped ureters, ro endometrial tumours esp. right abdo.. endo was everywhere, supposed to be laparoscopic procedure, ended up part and part.. in theatre 3.5 hrs and he said could have carried on for another 3.5!! But decided that enough was enough.. been very comfortable, apart from bowel, since. Then 11 months later.... MCTD..grrrr.
Claire XX

·
Dee
302 Posts
I had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis, heavy, painful, prolonged, periods.
In the past I think I had 3 abnormal smear results.

I was dx with Lupus about 5 years after the hysterectomy.

Memory is not what it was, hence the rough estimates :lol:

·
Me and My Bestfriend/Mom!
16 Posts
Same thing..............

I had the same thing happen to me at age 28 and it was from
a prolapsed uterus - I was just so thankful that I had my two
boys but sad to cause we wanted one more - He also
tacked up my bowels and bladder - Which my bladder has
come loose or something cause now I have a huge problem
with my pee leaking like crazy - I go see my gyno doctor in
August to discuss fixing it yet again - So frustrating having
to deal with this at just the age of 32 -

I do beleive that the Lupus played a part in my needing a
hysterectomy -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.